Monday, July 11, 2005

How do you stop fading yarn?

I made a few swatches with my new bamboo and experimented with different ways of washing them, and I have to admit, I was pretty dissapointed with the way it faded and shrunk. I'm not sure that the shrinking will be too big a problem, because it does seem to relax back to shape, but the fading it bothering me because I wanted the yarn especially because it's got such a beautiful saturated color. I think that the plan will be to hand wash it. That seemed to cause the least difference in color, though it did result in a little stiffer fabric to lay it out to dry rather than put it in the dryer.

We had a good weekend, watched movies, did a little shopping. We finally replace our broken dvd player, because the portable one that was a gift from Ben's company in April that we've been watching since May when our big one quit working broke yesterday. Cheap crap. Anyway, I'm glad for our new one. It's nice to watch movies on the tv instead of a nine inch screen.

I've been working away at various Christmas gifts and such. I know exactly what I'm going to do for Ben for Christmas this year. I finished Julie's present, and I think I'll start on Marissa's today. Or I'll start on the sweater I want to make with the bamboo. One of those this afternoon.

I finally looked through Cool Crochet. I've been looking in Barnes and Noble for it forever, and we went to a different one than usual and they had it. I wanted to buy it right then, but I was strong and resisted immediate gratification. Then I came home and ordered it on overstock last night. I bought two, so I could give one to Missy for her Christmas present. I think she'll like it. It way better than any other crochet pattern book I've seen. There are a few projects that I'd like to try. I can't wait till it gets here.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Julie said...

try washing it in distilled water.





I'm serious.

Stephanie said...

wow. I didn't know that Bamboo had that problem 0 I did one lace project in Bamboo and simply hand washed it...I have a bag of bamboo (in Red) and have not yet decided what to turn it into...will love to see the sweater you turn out :)

Bethany said...

Okay, Julie, I'll try it.

Stephanie, I'm not so sure if it's the Bamboo, or the way I washed it. I'd hate to give it a bad reputation. The one I washed in the machine with the normal load was the one that faded. But the swatched that I washed with the dark delicates was only slightly different from the yarn right from the ball. I guess it's just time for me to not be lazy and hand wash. That's the one that showed no change at all. And to be fair, it's what the wrapper said I should have done.

Adam James said...

Well no duh then, do the hand "jive" baby.

Related Posts with Thumbnails