Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Julie Rocks!


I mean, just look what she made me. And sent as a surprise out of the blue.

I'm totally craving beef stew over biscuits. But I can't ever make it taste the way it did when they'd give us that in elementary school. I tried to get the recipe from the cook when I got older, but she was like, well, "you'd make the stew..." It was like she didn't quite get that I don't just have how to make stew ingrained in me. I know that it wasn't real stew because it had ground beef instead of stew meat because that's what they could afford to feed us. Maybe I should just try a normal stew recipe but put ground beef in it. Anyway, I won't be doing that today, so the craving will go on.

It's sewing class day. I hope we can finally finish the pants. If we don't, I'm going to be so behind my lesson plan. Whatever

I got the Little Brown Bag kit from Bag Smith when Ben and I were in Tucson this weekend. (I just had to stop and Purls and check them out.) I think that on the whole, I would give this kit a bad review. The pattern it came with is not very great, just a tube with a separate bottom, and it's got typos and mistakes in it. Plus, I'm not so much into the black handles on a brown bag thing. It also comes with a little liner all sewn together, but there are no instructions whatsoever on how to insert it or what to do with it. On the good side, the cord it comes with is neat and crochets into a good bag fabric. But it definately wasn't worth the $35. I'm just a sucker for stuff that comes in a kit or as a set.

We had a lot of fun in Tucson. We went to the desert museum which is like a big zoo/botanical gardens, and saw a mountain lion and other big killer cats, and agaves and other big killer cacti. It didn't really make me like living in the desert any more than I did before, but their diagram on water usage convinced me that no one else should live here either. I also learned that javelinas are a pest problem in some areas. That surprised me, I've never seen them anywhere but in a zoo.

The class on Monday night was interesting, but the main point I took away from it and liked the most Julie will most likely cover on her blog, because it was something that I just had to share with her and she said, "I'm going to write about that on my blog." Anyway, just go there and read about it.

We didn't go to the dance class last night. So we're probably not going next week either since we already missed half. I just didn't have it in me to make Ben go when he dislikes it so much. And we learned to waltz. That was the goal and we accomplished that the second week.

Pickles is sitting in my lap and pressing her forehead against my hand really hard. She's so spoiled it's not even funny.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Julie said...

It looks pretty on! Did you take the pic yourself? ;)

Stephanie said...

oh how pretty!
and I love the Sonoran Desert Museum :D

Bethany said...

Julie, yeah, I did take the pic myself. That's why my face isn't in it. I cropped it out because of that darn funny I'm taking a picture of myself look I can't seem to stop making. And my student at class yesterday complimented it. She said it was really cute. Told you it'd get noticed! lol

Stephanie, it was totally fun, but I think I'd like to go in the spring more because then I could see the flowers. Am I right?

Julie said...

LOL!! That's great!

Anonymous said...

you can find stew recipes anywhere, but here's a really basic one you can mess around with. You need:
butter
flour
beef broth (or stock)
salt, pepper, thyme, bayleaf
whatever meat you want to use (chuck, round, sirloin)
carrots
onion
celery
any other veggis you want

melt butter in a pan, add flour a little at a time, until combined. the consistancy should be like wet sand at the beach. careful not to burn it. This is called a "roux" (roo). Meanwhile, heat a heavy bottomed pot with a little oil in it on the stove on high heat. Drop chunks of meat in, brown on all sides (aka "searing"). Remove meat from pot. Put beef broth into the pot, bring to boil, add roux, stirring, until the sauce reaches the consistancy you want. everytime you add roux, bring back to a boil- the roux thickens at a pretty high temp and you don't want your stew to turn into cement. When you're satisfied with the consistancy, add thyme, bayleaf, and diced veggies. Add meat, bring to gentle simmer. cook until veggies are tender and meat is done on the inside. Eat! Look for a baking powder biscuit recipe online or in the Fanny Farmer Cookbook.

Anonymous said...

This had nothing to do with anything you posted about, but I just found out that Helena is getting married. I guess her wedding annoucement was in the Pinny Journal.

-Ali

Related Posts with Thumbnails