Wednesday, March 22, 2006

My feet...

... are nine and a half inches long. That's got to be some sort of freakishly big number for a foot to be.

I was thinking while I knit this morning about the way people used to knit stockings... like true up to the thighish area stockings, with silk thread and wire thin needles with a gauge of like, 30 stitches to the inch. How did they not walk around with naked legs all the time? I mean, I'm enjoying knitting this sock, but one of my favorite things about it was how cool it was to see the heel part just appear so fast and all. But the yarn I'm using for these socks is like, 8 stitches to the inch, so I'm just imagining four times the stitches in each round, with a leg part alone that's like 20 inches long at least. It's boggling.

Anyway, I had a point. My point is... I get to start decreasing for the toe now. Hopefully, there will be sock pictures tonight. One sock mind you, but still... And when I start the next one, I can say that I'm knitting a pair of socks, instead of just, I'm knitting a sock. It's not a pair till you start the second one, in my opinion.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh my gosh! I just realized: my feet are nine and a half inches long. And I wear a size nine and a half shoe. Oh wow, do they do that on purpose? Does it work for everyone? Not men, because they have bigger shoes of the same number. But women? All women? Weird.

Julie said...

You're right, you aren't knitting a pair of socks until you start the second sock. That's my opinion too.

Julie said...

Hey! Cute new picture!

Related Posts with Thumbnails