Wednesday, May 17, 2006

If I've learned anything from America's Next Top Model...

... I've learned that my pony tail makes me very "Modelly" and "European" Thanks, Tyra.

So I've been working on the practice dress v.2 I've got the bodice put together, and today I'm going to do the facings and the sleeves. And maybe put the skirt on. I can't really decide if I have to bother with the skirt or not. I think I will, just to get the idea of the weight of it on the bodice. Not that a skirt cut out of sheet will pull in even close to the same way that a skirt made of satin and chiffon will. Anyway, maybe I'll be able to call in my consultant (Julie's Aunt Sis) sometime at the end of the week or the beginning of next week, and we'll be able to work on the fitting issues.

Ben and I are meeting with the guy at church in charge of the marriages and stuff this evening. We're planning to start the process of having a sacramental marriage because our wedding was pretty much a non-denominational civic marriage. We're planning to do the ceremony on our anniversary next year. It'll be our fifth anniversary. I'm planning on inviting at least all our immediate families. I don't know who will be able to actually come out here though. It's a little weird to think about getting married again, but it's not really that, it's just having the marriage blessed through the Church. And now that Ben is Catholic too, it makes sense we'd want to be married in a Catholic ceremony now.

It's actually funny, being married. It's just been within the last few years that I've figured out that being married to someone takes a lot of sacrafice. And when you get married, you make promises that you have no idea how to keep, but you know that you will no matter what. I learned in our OCIA class that everytime you make a choice in your life, that choice limits the framework of any future choice. And it makes sense. Everyone has to decide where to go from here according to what choices they've made in the past. For instance, I decided to get married right away out of college. Now that I've chosen to be a wife, I can't just go away to school where ever I want and start working on a grad degree. I can go to school, but I have to stay with my husband. And like Ben can't just quit his job and start living on a beach somewhere. Because he chose to be married and has a wife to take care of. Anyway, I suppose my point is, now that it's five years later and I've actually lived this stuff instead of just knowing about it in an abstract way, it'll be interesting to reevaluate making those vows again from a place of experience.

It's time to make some sort of changes in my life. I'm not sure if I mean big changes or getting a hair cut. But I'm feeling some sort of discontent with the way things are right now, nothing in particular, maybe just a bit of wanderlust. I would like to leave Arizona, but it'll be another year or two before we go anywhere else, I think. Maybe it's time to go back to school, or have a baby, or start a new knitting project, or go get my eyebrows waxed. As you can see, I haven't really put my finger on it. But I'll figure it out.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Julie said...

Getting the ol' hairs trimmed does wonders for me. As does getting a good tan, a new redder-than-hooker lipstick, a Swedish message, and taking a trip. A good, fun trip. :) Once while I was living in Detroit, I called one of my old bosses (a gay guy from East Lansing) and was complaining about how everything in my life SUCKED and HE said (as only a gay guy can):
"Honey, how long has it been since you've been tanning??"
"Since last year."
"Mmm hmmm. And how long sing your last massage?"
"I don't know. Months."
"And you expect to feel GOOD?"

Related Posts with Thumbnails