Friday, June 01, 2007

I would think of thoughts I never thunk before

So, it's been a while since I posted. I seem to be spending so much time thinking lately that there's no time to blog all the thoughts. That, and also the fact that this is the first day off I've had all week combine to make a boring blog.

Okay, first of all I promised a scathing review. My parents and I went to Jerome while they were here, mainly so ma and I could go to the yarn store, Knit 1, Bead 2. We'd seen it advertised before in the classifieds in Interweave and Vogue Knitting, so we thought it would be fun to visit a new yarn store we hadn't been to before. Well, the person working in the store, who I assume to be the owner, was so rude! She was one of those condescending, artsy types. (not to be confused with nice artsy types who are, unfortunately, much rarer) Well, I guess it was her own sense of importance that made her come across like she did. So, she called us flatlanders in a pitying tone, and never asked us if we'd like help finding something, or if we were looking for something in particular. But really, the most insulting part was when my mom was asking about a certain sweater that was on display that she probably would have bought yarn to make, and she asked about the color variations. Well, the woman explained that she'd washed it at different stages of the knitting to show the fading that results in the indigo dye. Fine and good, but then she proceeded to end this with, "Well, I'm not from the midwest, so I don't think things have to match." Too bad I'm so provincial and out of it, or I would have thought to ask her where she is from. Anyway, if she enjoys insulting customers, it's her business. (I hope. It would be a shame if she were rude like that to someone else's customers.)

So I've been thinking a lot lately about being a producer instead of a consumer. I have no organized comments about this right now, but soon, maybe I'll construct an entire post about it.

What we've been up too? Well, last weekend we canned 12 pints of brandied cherries. That was lots of fun. And other than seeing Pirates of the Carribean (1/2 an hour too long), that was pretty much all we did all weekend. I worked every day the rest of the week, so today I've spent catching up on things, like vaccuming and mopping and washing the sheets and laundry. I did make barbecue spareribs in the slowcooker yesterday and they turned out really yummy. Maybe a tad greasy, I think beef might actually work better than pork in this case. And there's a ton of meat leftover for some pork fried rice this weekend. And today is pizza day! We got a pizza stone last weekend, so that'll be fun to try again. I didn't read the instructions the first time we used it, and I think the oven wasn't hot enough.

I made some hair scarves today. That's another thing I've been thinking about a lot, modesty in dress and biblical instructions for such. I've been reading lots of blogs and stuff about it, and I find it fascinating. But I don't know if I really believe it to be necessary. I mostly made the hair scarves because I do wear one in my hair alot when I at home cleaning, and the only one I have is a black one that's actually a dog bandana that has purina checkerboards on it. So I made a couple of lady-like white ones. It only took about half an hour, I just cut two half square triangles and finished the edges with the rolled hem on the serger. Easy as pie.

I baked some gingersnaps the other day before work. They turned out pretty well, but aren't chewy at all. I know, they are called gingersnaps, not gingerchews. I guess I should try molasses cookies if I want chewy. I would have, but there wasn't sour cream in the fridge. They were a little too "autumny" as well. But that's not the fault of the cookie, they'd be perfect in October. Guess I should do a berry pie if I want to stick with the season. I wonder if you can use sweet cherries in pie. I'd probably like it better than regular, because I hate sour pie.

I have been knitting in the last couple of weeks. Here's a picture to prove it. The purple sock is discontinued Baby Ull that I got at Fiber Factory, and then black is Sockotta, a cotton/wool blend for Ben. I'm using the toe up pattern from the latest Interweave Knits for the purple one so I can just make each sock an entire skein's worth in length. I was amazed by the cast on. Absolutely amazed.

(sorry no pics for now, my computer's being a pain)

So, maybe next week I'll manage to post some more, maybe even some pictures. That would be nice. But for now, I've got to go finish up the laundry and work on turning the heel on the purple socks.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Molly said...

Hey Bethany! An old friend of mine gave me this ginger cookie recipe, and when she made them they were chewy. I haven't made them yet, but maybe you would want to try:

Ginger Cookies



Cream together 1 cup sugar and ¾ cup margarine (she said she used blue bonnet)



Add 1 Tbls. molasses and 1 egg and beat well



Sift the following and add to above, mix well



2 cups flour

2 tsp. soda

¼ tsp. salt

½ tsp. ground cloves

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. ginger



Make into balls the size of walnuts and roll in sugar. Bake on a cookie sheet 10 to 13 minutes at 350 degrees. Makes about 4 dozen

let me know if you try them!

Molly

Adam J. said...

i want molasses cookies!

at least in the midwest we don't cloak ourselves in TOPAZ! Good lord, there is a limit.

i read your blog while eating my cereal before pw amd matt dude and i go on a road trip, for some reason it was very pleasant.

Bethany said...

Thanks Molly! I'll have to try that one sometime. We got gingersnapped out for now... it's weird how unseasonal cookies just don't seem right, even when they taste good.

Hey Adam, I know, what you mean, she couldn't lift her arm for the weight of the silver. I'd rather be a Michigander any day. And I'm glad you found my blog pleasant.

Related Posts with Thumbnails