Thursday, October 18, 2007

Like sands through the hourglass...

I trained my replacement at work yesterday. She's enough like me that no one is even going to notice when I'm gone. Seriously, she's smiles and talks a lot, so the transition should pretty much be seamless.

I made a mexican casserole on Tuesday. That night it was kind of bland, but last night when we had leftovers, it was really good. So I suppose I'll have to make it a day ahead all the time so it can sit and get good before we eat it. I pretty much mixed up some leftover pizza sauce, canned corn, canned black beans, chopped up leftover rotisserie chicken, chopped onion, chopped green and red peppers and then put down corn tortillas in a layer, scooped the mixture onto that, a layer of monterey jack cheese, and so on, like a lasagna. It could have used way more onion, I only used a quarter of one or so, and a can of green chilies, also, I forgot to add any cumin or chilli powder, so that may have helped that first day bland thing. We still have one piece left for lunch today, so we'll see how it tastes the third day.

Today, I'm planning to make a pumpkin pie from a real pumpkin. I roasted the pumpkin on Tuesday, so all I've got to do now is make the pie like normal. It actually wasn't much harder. Next year, when I've got my farm, I'll definately grow some pie pumpkins and make the puree and freeze it. I think it would be even better is after it was all roasted and scooped out, if all the spices went in while it got mashed up, and then it was frozen. Then there'd be time for all the flavors to get really really combined. Like how the canned pumpkin pie filling is much yummier in a pie than the regular pureed pumpkin and spices you add yourself.

We made granola this weekend. It turned out really yummy. Mostly because it has flaked coconut in it and I love coconut so much. It's sweetened only with honey, and crazy as it sounds, honey actually makes my mouth and throat feel funny, so I'm not sure if I'll be eating it every day.

I keep thinking that I'd really better learn about keeping chickens somehow soon, because spring isn't really that far away, and I need to be ready for them. I'm not exactly sure how to learn about keeping chickens. I'm not sure if there are many farming books being published. My dad and brother could tell me, but it's hard to talk to either of them on the phone. I could join 4H, but that doesn't seem like a good solution. I'll probably end up searching online and then combining books and bothering dad and Wayne with questions.

I'm actually pretty excited about all the stuff I'll have to learn to have a big garden and raise chickens and take care of apple trees and have berry bushes. I'm pretty sure that everyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting to do all that and raise chickens, and have a clothesline and everything, but I truly think it's going to do wonders for my health and for Ben's too and that it's just what I'm meant to be doing now. I know that farming, even on such a miniscule scale as I want to, is more hard work than I've ever done in my life, but I'm really looking forward to finding out if I can rise to a challenge like that.

I hope we can get moved into our new house soon. I wonder if you can make offers with closing dates only two weeks away. I'd love it if we could spend Thanksgiving at the new house, but even if we aren't moved in then, I really hope we'll be there for Christmas. Really, I just hope that there's a house out there that we'll want to buy. We're pretty much looking for one that we can be in more or less permanently.

I've been working on some mystery projects since the weekend. I had a giant skein of orange red heart super saver to knit my way through. I pretty much wanted it gone so I didn't have to deal with it, so I kept on till it was finished. I used it all up last night, so today I'm going to break out the alpaca/silk yarn from knitpicks for some small gifts for my friends to give to them before I move. It'll be nice for my hands to have a rest from the acrylic. And what in the world was I making with orange acrylic? I'll post some pictures of that later. For now, I'd better go get to work on the laundry and the dishes. It's sad really how I spend so much more time putting off housework than actually doing housework.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Julie said...

....These are the days of our lives. Ahhhh! It had to be said. I feel better now that it has. I think just saying "like sands through an hour glass..." is kinda like singing Jon Jacob Jingle-Heimer-Schmidt, without saying Schmidt. lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails