Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tuesdays with Beppy

So, the pumpkin pie with real pumpkin experiment did not turn out quite awesome. Not that that's the pumpkin's fault. It mostly wasn't awesome because it didn't ever happen because when I was going to make the pie I realized we don't have a pastry cutter, a rolling pin, or a pie plate right now. Those are all things that are packed up into boxes and sitting in the garage. So I just mixed the pumpkin up with Ben's squash and he ate it like that with cinnamon and maple syrup.

I'm supposed to be deciding this week what things we will be packing into the car and have with us on our trip and living in the hotel until the new house closes. The rest of whatever that isn't packed in the car is going on the moving truck and we won't see it again till it's unpacking time. It's a little difficult to decide what we'll need to have with us.
Some is easy, we'll need a week or two of clothes and our toiletries, obviously.
The cats, of course, are coming in the car with us. So we'll need them and their boxes, but we'll also need their food dishes, a litter box, their harnesses and leashes, and extra food and litter, and their sedatives for the trip.
We might also want to bring some of the food that we have't eaten by then, though we're trying to eat things mainly from the freezer and the shelves to thin that out. But there is some rice, and peanut butter, and things like that that seem worth keeping. Any food that we don't bring with us will have to be thrown away, because the movers won't take food for us.
Beyond these things, there's some boxes of paperwork and stuff that we should keep right with us, our backup discs and birth certificates in the fire proof safe, our computers, whatever projects I might want to have with me for however long we'll be in the hotel.
I'm hoping we can have a closing date of the 17th, so we won't have to live in a hotel for too long before we can move into the new house.

We're going to look at houses this weekend, and I'm very excited to pick out my new place. We'll probably stay in it for a long while so I want to make sure it's a good house and land for us. There's lots of choices that we'll be seeing on Friday and Saturday. Some have very large houses, but only an acre of land, some are older houses, but with as much as five acres. I'm having a hard time putting my priorities for a house in order. I know what features I want, but I don't know which are the most important to me. I'm really hoping that once we see the right one, we'll just know that it's a good one for us.

I've been knitting on the goodbye presents for my friends. I have three done, and so only have a couple more to go. I don't have to go to work today, so I think I might just hang out here and knit and knit and knit. I'm actually really itching to embroider something, but all that stuff is packed up. I was trying to simplify things and only kept out some yarn and my knitting needles and crochet hooks. I miss sewing and embroidering though. I'm almost tempted to pick up a hoop and some embroidery thread, since they're so inexpensive, it's not like it would be foolish to have duplicates. I wouldn't even have to get pillowcases or whatever, I could just embroider on the kitchen towels. Wow, I sound like a desperate craft addict. Anyway, I won't be starting any different projects until the presents for my friends here are finished.

I found a neat site that I've been reading all about chickens and she's got really good recipes. Reading this lady's site has inspired me to try out making some whole grain bread or bagels. I'd really love to try making the bagels. And I found the info on grind your own grain to be very interesting. I've been hearing from a lot of diverse sources lately that freshly ground grain is by far the healthiest, most nutritive way to have bread and baked goods. I'm impressed by her site mainly for the shear amount of information she has just shared. I haven't even read a fraction of what she's got info on. She doesn't have any info on gardening on her site right now, so I'll have look elsewhere for tips on vegetable growing and taking care of fruit trees. I'm tempted to make dad come show me how to build a chicken coop and plant a garden. Though, I'm sure I can figure out most of it on my own, I just want to make sure that I do it right, so I won't be wasting time or money.

Oh, and I'm a bad person because I thought it was kinda funny when Marie Osmond dropped on last night's Dancing with the Stars. (But I'm not completely evil because I didn't think it was funny until after they said she was fine.)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails