Sunday, November 18, 2007

An Experiment

So, I've seen lots of blogs on Menu Monday that break down the costs of each meal. I always think that our food costs more than that somehow, so today, I decided to find out. After dinner, I counted the servings of sauce as I scooped them out of the slow cooker and then figured out how much it costs per serving. This is with the expensive hamburger that the hotel people picked up for us. I usually buy it much cheaper when it's on sale and use it out of the freezer. So that would make my usual sauce that much less per serving, since that's where the bulk of the expense was.

Here's what it looked like:


Entire Batch of Sauce (20 Servings)
Hamburger 7.50
Tomato Sauce 3.00
Tomato Paste .50
Garlic Powder .10
_____
11.10 / 20 = .55 per serving

Entire Meal for Two (with lunch leftover)
Sauce 1.65
Noodles .20
Garlic Bread .50
_____
2.35


The top is my figuring for the sauce. I use a lot of garlic powder, I figured about a tenth of the jar, and though I don't know how much this jar cost (more hotel shopping), I pay a dollar for that much. Of course the cost would change a bit if I put in chopped onion, but considering the meat was much more than usual, I don't think it would make a big difference.

Under that is the cost for three servings of noodles, three servings of sauce and two slices of texas toast garlic bread. Only two garlic breads because Ben will only want the noodles and sauce and not a bread for lunch tomorrow. The noodles are a dollar for 32 oz macaroni noodles that we got at Schnuck's. We did top it with parmesean curls, but I can't figure the cost for that out, because we've been using the same piece of cheese for months, and I don't even know how much it cost in the first place.

So in the end, dinner for two and a lunch cost $2.35 all together. I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised to know that my effort can save us that much money. Because say we decided to go out for a similar meal and even picked the cheapest choice, Fazoli's, it would still cost about ten dollars at least, and there wouldn't be lunch left for tomorrow.

This food cost figuring is actually pretty fun!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails