Wednesday, November 14, 2007

First Things First

Well, actually second things first, but I have to explain about all the excitement last night to show why I'm waiting till later to write about the houses that I looked at. Ben flew out to Newark yesterday morning, so he wasn't here last night.

Last night, at about two in the morning, I was ripped awake by a huge loud noise. At first I thought it was some how the alarm clock or my phone being really loud, and I thought, "crap, I'm going to wake up the neighbors!" Then I realized it was the fire alarm, and I panicked. I'm never good at clear thinking right when I wake up, but throw in a ear-numbing loud noise, and I'm a mess. I think I may have actually run in a couple of circles before I got to the door.

I was going out when I realized I should have my key. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I thought I needed my key, but I went and found it in my pants pocket. Then I paused, deciding about the cats. Somewhere in my sleepy mind, I thought that if it was just a little fire, I could come back for them. So I went out again.

I was about halfway down the hall when I saw some ladies with their purses. And I thought, I should really have that. So I went back for my purse and since I was going back anyway, I figured I'd shove the cats in their boxes. When I got back to the room, I could only lay my hands on Pickles, and that was only because I knew for sure she'd be under the bed, and I just reached under and made a mad grab for her. I almost got her, but she ran. Luckily, she ran into the bathroom and so she cornered herself. I grabbed her and shoved her in the box, even though she was fighting.

At that point, I figured if it were a big fire, I'd better get going or all four of us would die. But I felt really bad just abandoning Columbo and Smudge. I mean, just cause she's cutest doesn't really give Pickles any more of a right to live than they have. So I went out with my purse and the cat, but no bra and no shoes.

On the way down the stairs, there were people coming back up, so I figured it was a false alarm, but I went all the way down to make sure. It was a false alarm, but the hotel people couldn't turn the alarm off, so they were waiting for the fire department to come. So Pickles and I came back upstairs.

It took about half an hour in total to get the alarm shut off. It was painfully loud. I think the cats are a little deaf now, poor kitty ears.

It was a pretty upsetting experience, so I ended up staying up the rest of the night. I watched Samantha Who and Carpoolers on ABC.com until I knew Ben would be awake and then I called him and talked some. I felt much calmer after all that, but I couldn't help to continue to be upset by my lack of competance in an emergency. I'll blame a lot of that on the fact that I was in a Tylenol PM induced deep sleep in the middle of the morning, but I couldn't help but think I should decide what to do ahead of time so I'll have a plan when something like that happens.

I'd like to say that I'd have everything I'd need right in my purse and that I could get the cats in their boxes and be out the door in a minute or two. But I think it'd take longer. That doesn't stop me from wanting to take the cats with me though.

Oh, and this morning, since I was up I went down to breakfast. And when I took my shirt off to shower and change, I saw that I have scratches all down my chest, and there was a big hole and blood on the shirt on the side. I checked, and I have even bigger scratches all down my side and around my back. Poor ungrateful Pickles was fighting a lot harder than I knew. I didn't even feel it when she did that. But I'll be the other people thought it was pretty funny looking when they saw it.

Anyway, with all the excitement and no sleep, I figured I'd crawl back into bed and go for an early morning cat nap. But I wanted to post about this before I did that, so I'd remember what i wanted to say. Later, I'll post about house hunting. And a picture of my new hat. The rest of the plans for the day (after I wake up, that is) include doing laundry, cleaning up our suite, and knitting. I haven't decided what the project will be yet.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Alison said...

That's an amusing story. When we lived in our old apartment, there was a wiring problem with the smoke alarms and it would go off in the middle of the night. Now, my alarm clock scares me out of bed each night, but a smoke alarm going off in the middle of the night is terrifying. I probably had a few heart attacks before our landlord fixed them.

Adam J. said...

OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL! OMG! LOL!

True Story!

Bethany said...

Ali, I was literally afraid I was having a heart attack once I got back up here. It took me forever to get my heart back to normal.

I'm glad to have amused you, Adam.

Alison said...

I think it MORE than amused Adam.

Related Posts with Thumbnails