Thursday, November 01, 2007

I've got the house buying blues (a venting post)

We were going to put in an offer on the house we liked today, but we found out that unlike here in AZ, in IL the buyers don't have any grace period in which to change their minds after the offer is accepted. We want to be sure that we would be allowed to keep a few chickens with no problems and without breaking any rules before we decide on any house. We're also having some problems with trusting our realtor. We've never had a lot of confidence in her, because it's always felt like she isn't listening to us, but I'm afraid that things are escalating. She's forgetful and late with things. I'm unimpressed with her, but I don't know if it's worth starting all over again with a new realtor at this point. Truthfully, I'm feeling very overwhelmed, and Ben is tied up in calls all morning, so we can't discuss it and decide. If I didn't feel like we needed to rush so we'd have a place to live, that would be better, but I'm afraid that if we don't keep moving on this, it's going to cost us lots of money in temporary living in order to find a place. Plus, we were really hoping to be moved in before Christmas. But that would just be a nice thing, and I'd hate to have the hope for a luxury end up hurrying me into making a foolish decision about something as big buying a house. I'm almost ready to throw in the towel, put all our stuff into storage and rent a cheap apartment for a year, and save up more money and try again then. That would be very unrealistic though, and would cost us a lot of unneeded spending with storage and more movers. All I know for certain about the move now is that we can't stay here any longer, and on Friday next week all our things will be gone, and we have to start driving to IL. I wish we knew for sure that we'll have a place to live, but for now, the Residence Inn will be home. I bet Thanksgiving in a hotel would be novel. I wish I could just turn things back and change realtors when she first showed that she wouldn't be paying much attention to us. I feel like she's not on our side at all. All I want to do now is ignore it all somehow, but that's not going to solve any problems or get any decisions made. Maybe I can just ignore it all till Ben's done with his calls, and then he and I can talk about what to do.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Molly Byrd said...

BJ Sonderman at Coldwell Banker in Florissant really helped us. We had to find a house in 3 days. At first we didn't like him but then he went out of his way several times to help us. He may be able to help you too. Probably can get his info online; I don't have it handy. Hope things work out for you soon!
Molly

Adam J. said...

hey, hey beppy - guess what?

..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
CHICKEN BUTT!!

You can live like Richie Rich if you stay in a Hotel. That would be sweet.

Bethany said...

Molly, thanks very much for your suggestion. Unfortunately, we have to use realtors assigned by the Prudential Relocation, since we've got a relocation allowance for this move. I'm feeling frustrated, that's for sure, but it's nice to have you sympathize with me. What area do you live in? Do you like it?

Adam, guess why not?......Chicken in a Pot. If I had Richie Rich money I would just live in a hotel, and not worry about it.

Kathryn said...

Having bought and sold a dozen houses (our own houses, not as a Realtor), I say, "GET ANOTHER REALTOR!" It took us THREE different Realtors to get our latest house sold (which closed on October 9th). It had been on the market for 18 months! The one I used last asked why I picked him. I said, "Because you SELL houses". He had three in escrow. The same applies for buying agents. If you don't trust them, then you might as well be on your own.

Frankly most of our purchases have been on our own (though eventually you need a Realtor for the paperwork). Either I went to dozens of open houses until I found The One. Or I used the internet to scout out neighborhoods and got an Agent to get me into a place I already knew I liked.

Even if you have particular needs (Chickens? Cool!), this is a BUYER'S market. Park yourself in the Residence Inn and search, search, search. Make it a job. When I am on the hunt I don't stop until it is The One. Yes, you can fix up something so it is livable, but it will never be The One. As soon as I can sell one more piece of property I want to buy some land and build The House. I've remodeled three houses so far, but I'd really like one that is Mine.

Good luck to you. I really do know how stressful this is (yeah, the only movers I could get in a week's notice were two Samoans and a Truck. They didn't break much.). So step back, breath, and commit to finding something you can stay in without going, "if I just kept looking for one more week."

Bethany said...

Kathryn, thanks so much for your advice. We did change realtors, and I was talking to a friend yesterday telling her I was planning to do just what you suggest, work full time at it until I've found the right thing. We're concerned about the money that temporary living will cost us, but in the long run, I feel like having just the right house to live in for the next how ever many years will so be worth it. As long as I can handle the stress of my husband reminding me how much each day is costing us. Thanks again for the comment, it's nice to know what someone more experienced than I am thinks about the situation.

Related Posts with Thumbnails