Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Recipe Tuesday - Thanksgiving Edition

I decided since it's November now, and one of my favorite holidays is just around the corner, I'd share some Thankgiving Dinner recipes for Recipe Tuesday.

A great place to start is the turkey. I know that lots of people think roasting a turkey means you end up with a golden turkey to carry out on a platter. I think that if you go for looks, though, you may end up sacraficing taste. Turkey made in the slow cooker is some of the best turkey I've ever had, even though it's definately "carve it in the kitchen" in the looks department. And if you're a fan of brining, simply brine the turkey in your crock pot liner in the fridge, then rinse and follow these directions. I love this way of making turkey so much that even if I were serving so many people that a twenty pound turkey would be appropriate, I'd just borrow a couple of crock pots and buy a few smaller birds.

The recipe calls for turkey breast. If you have a large enough slow cooker to fit it, you can do a whole turkey. It also calls for a jar of turkey gravy. If you use gravy, it's important to get a jar, not a can. It just tastes better. I generally use low fat, low sodium chicken broth in place of the gravy and water. Homemade broth would be great too. You really just want a 1-2 cups of liquid that will bring some good flavor. You can use russet potatoes instead of new or red, but you'll want to peel them, and not just scrub them. You can use other veggies too, like onion, or celery, but make sure there's still room for the turkey.

The vegetables that roast with the turkey are generally not our side dish with the turkey, but even though we don't eat them for Thanksgiving Dinner, I always put them in, and save them out when the turkey is finished. They have a higher purpose, which is to be revealed in a couple of weeks.

SlowCooker Roasted Turkey and Veggies

6 lb. frozen turkey breast, thawed
1 jar of turkey gravy
8-10 red potatoes or new potatoes, scrubbed and halved
1 lb. bag of baby carrots

Spread the carrots and prepared potatoes on the bottom of the crock pot. Unwrap the turkey and take out anything that's inside it. If it has a timer thing, just leave it in. Put the turkey in on the veggies, breast side down. Pour the gravy on the turkey all over. Fill jar 1/2 full of water, shake it up and pour into slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.

The only time I've ever had this come out wrong is when it ended up cooking 10-11 hours and it was overcooked. Allow it to cook for 7-8 hours, and it will come out so juicy and delicious. If you're concerned about it not being cooked through, you can check it with a meat thermometer. I've never had it come out underdone. It's very simple, and you can barely mess it up.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Angie said...

Hey, Beth! Thanks for joining the NaBloPoMo Small Farmer's Group. Sorry it took me so long to notice, I am woefully behind on my blogging world.......life with a husband and 3 kids. Ugh.

Great that you are moving to St. Louis, my husband and I lived there for about 1 1/2 years when we were first married and LOVED that area. Hope you will like it too.

Look forward to reading your blog and envying the fact that you are good at things I'm not - crafts, making gifts, being creative, in general. Maybe I'll learn something!

Have a great day.

Bethany said...

Angie, thanks for the comment. As you can see, I'm a wanna be farmer for now. And once I get my farm it'll be more micro-farm than small-farm, but I was thrilled to find the group and figured I could learn something from all the real farmers. Thanks again, and comment anytime, I know I'm hoping to learn about farming from you and the other group members so feel free to ask any questions if you want to know about something I seem to know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails