Wednesday, December 05, 2007

7 things

Melonie at Momma (and More) tagged me for this game. I'm not sure if I know seven people to tag who won't be annoyed that I've tagged them, but I'll think of some at the end, and if you're one of them and are annoyed, you don't have to do it. And if I didn't tag you, but you would have liked me to, just do it anyway and leave a comment and I'll link you later.

Here are the rules:
1) Link to the person who tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
2) Share 7 facts about yourself.
3) Tag 7 random people and include links to their blogs.
4) Let each person know they have been tagged and comment on their blog.

Seven Facts about Myself

1. I really want a tattoo, like the ones on Miami Ink, but I can't think of anything other than God and Ben that I like enough to have right on my skin. So I guess it's not so much that I want a tattoo on me, it's just that I really like tattoo style art and would love to draw things in that style.

2. I love giving people gifts, and ever since my family has decided we're all too old and broke to exchange presents at Christmas, I've been tricking them by making and giving them things all through the year.

3. When I was young, I carried a book with me where ever I went. My Uncle Ed used to ask me where my book was when he saw me if he didn't see a book in my hand. The answer was usually, in the car. My parents would tell me to leave it in the car when we were visiting people.

4. I wrote a thesis project in college on the motif of quilting in adolescent literature. It was part of a program for first generation and minority college students who wanted to go to grad school. It was called the McNair Program. I knew by then that I probably wasn't going to go ahead with my plan of grad school, but they offered a large stipend, and I thought it would be a valuable experience. It was a very good experience, and it taught me how to organize an academic length article of forty pages or more. I presented my paper at a conference in Maryland and one of the people in the back of the room fell asleep. I felt a lot of sympathy for my professors then.

5. I'm very glad to have moved to St. Louis because the bright sunlight in Phoenix hurt my eyes and gave me headaches a lot of the time. But I also am worried that I'll have seasonal dissaffective disorder here now that I don't have as much sunlight. I know that I didn't like the sun, but I'm concerned my body got so used to it without my consent that I'll find myself missing it.

6. My nickname, Beppy, came from when I was very small and my cousin Greg, who is only a few months younger than I am, couldn't say Bethy. So, all my uncles on that side of the family stuck with Beppy and that's what they still call me, I think. It could have been worse, Wayne was Wayne the Pain, Donna was Dino, and Adam was Winger. Adam's was the result of a broken arm. So, Ben liked it so much, he started calling me Beppy too when we met. I added the cat part myself for online purposes, because believe it or not, beppy is usually taken. And when I signed up for my yahoo mail address beppy and beppers were both taken, so that's how I ended up with beppers777 (i hadn't thought of the cat part yet). I won't change it now because I've been using it since I was fifteen or so.

7. I believe that my skill for baking is genetic. I never met my Grandma Salgat, my dad's mom, but I've heard lots of things about her and my mom likes to tell stories about her. And everyone says that on a Sunday, her house was the place to be. All my dad's cousins and aunts and uncles (and there were a ton, my Grandma Salgat had thirteen kids in her family growing up) would come to their house after church and she would make tons and tons of food. I'm pretty sure I inherited baking from her. My dad and the Betty Crocker cookbook taught me how to make pie crust when I was about twelve, so I got lucky to learn at a younger age than most, and I love learning more and more and building my skills. If I lived close enough to my family, I'd have them at my house eating and eating every weekend too. Just like Grandma Salgat.
And my mom's mom, Grandma Trudell, and her mom, Great-Grandma are the ones that I inherited sewing and knitting and tatting from.

Okay, so now I'm going to tag:

1. Adam
2. Donna
3. Ali
4. Julie
5. Hadias
6. Brian
7. Mary

Molly, I would have tagged you, but I couldn't find your blog anymore?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Melonie said...

Thanks for participating! So I've gotta know - what background is Grandma Salgat? That's a very unique last name!

Bethany said...

The Salgat part of my family is Swiss from the French part of Switzerland and from there through Canada to Michigan. Lots of French-Canadian in my heritage, that what the Trudell part is too.

Country Girl At Heart said...

Hey Beppy I will accept the tag. I will post my answers next week. Thanks for visiting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails