Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Recipe Tuesday - Brownies with Fudge Frosting

Yes, today is a two for one Recipe Tuesday day. I'm sharing my mom's famous brownie recipe. I remember these brownies being very popular with my cousins and my older sister's friends when we were growing up. And I know for a fact that my older brother would walk over all of us to get some when he's got one of his chocolate cravings. I like them even more with fudge frosting on them. The frosting recipe I got from my friend Diane, and I think she got it from a chocolate lover's cook book.


(Sure I'm posting two recipes in an attempt to make up for forgetting Recipe Tuesday last week. It's distracting to you, right? Look, something shiny! Fudge frosting!)

Brownies
3/4 C. Flour
7 T. Cocoa
3/4 t. Salt
1 C. Sugar
1/2 t. Baking Powder

2/3 C. Shortening
1 t. Vanilla
2 Eggs
1 T. Corn Syrup

Mix together the dry ingredients, then add the shortening, vanilla, eggs, and corn syrup. Mix this all together well. It will be much more like a dough than a batter. This is good, go with it.
Grease and flour an 8X8 baking dish well, and spread the brownies into it. Try to get it around to the edges and corners, but it doesn't have to be perfect. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 -45 mins. Cool completely in the dish on a wire rack before frosting.

When I double this recipe, I find that it's best to bake it in two 8X8 pans rather than one 9X13 pan. This way the edges won't get too done before the middle is set.




Fudge Frosting
1/2 C. Butter
1/2 C. Cocoa
1 lb. of Powdered Sugar
1 1/2 t. Vanilla
dash of salt
1/3 C. Water

Melt the butter over low heat, add the cocoa, and stir until smooth and well blended. Remove from heat. Put mixture into a mixing bowl. Add sugar, vanilla, and salt, alterately with the water, beating each addition well. Beat until smooth and creamy.
This recipe makes enough to cover two 8X8 pans of brownies. So if you're making a regular batch of brownies, you could halve the frosting recipe, or you can just use the other half on something else within a few weeks. Store the leftover portion in the fridge in the meantime.

I usually put the salt in right away, and add the vanilla to the water to make things easier to add in. Also, make sure you just melt the butter in the beginning. You don't want it to bubble or anything.
This frosting is so super yummy with the brownies, but you can use it on anything you'd like. It's great on yellow cake, and if you'd really like to impress your friends, you can fill a yellow layer cake with cherry jam or preserves, then frost it with the fudge frosting. Yummy, a chocolate covered cherries cake.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Hadias said...

This looks so good. I love brownies especially with pecans.

Bethany said...

Thanks! I know most people love nuts, and this recipe probably originally had nuts in it, but my mom eliminated them long ago. She doesn't like nuts in baked goods, and so I don't usually care for them either. Luckily, I married a man who doesn't like nuts in baked goods either!

Julie said...

ugh. Now I want brownies.

Michell Waterman said...

Made these while I was waiting for my taters to boil and they are AWESOME. My tummy, hips and thighs totally hate you ;) My husband and children however, love me so...thank you?

Wonderful recipe, going into my "keepers" folder.

Related Posts with Thumbnails