Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy St. Valentine's Day!

I've been making some preparations for Valentine's Day yesterday and today. I baked heart shaped cakes for a layer cake yesterday afternoon. Ben's favorite dessert is this chocolate cake with buttercream icing. I made the icing and frosted the cake this morning.

Yesterday was also a meeting of the homemaker's club. It was a very nice time. I enjoy the company of the other women. We had a lesson on motivation and how to stay motivated with tasks that you don't enjoy as well as tasks that you do enjoy. We learned that the three main obstacles of motivation are procrastination, perfectionism, and pessimism.

Here are my cakes cooling after I've taken them out of the oven. I made the unfortunate discovery that this recipe is terrible for layer cakes, or any cake you want to be able to take out of the pan. I ended up letting them cool in the pans, and cutting each cake into four big chunks in order to life them out of the pan, then putting them back together on the cake plate and frosting over them. It looks nice on the outside, but it'll be slightly hilarious when it's cut apart, I suppose.

Here is my progress on the socks. I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish them before Ben gets home, but I can always wrap them up how they are on the needle and then finish them tonight after dinner. I'm not giving up though, I'm really going to challenge myself to see if I can finish them in time. But I do have to finish some other housework. I'm sure that I could get them done if I did nothing else today, but Ben's been asking me to get the Jacuzzi tub in the master bathroom clean, and today seems like the day to do it. I'm sure Ben would rather have a clean house and dinner ready, than socks on time and a wife that did nothing at all except knit all day.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Melonie said...

WOW - you've gotten really far! I'm in awe. Of course having only knitted ONE thing, I'm in awe anyway. haha

You're right tho, I bet he'd rather have the clean house - especially the Jacuzzi tub! :-) Hope y'all have a wonderful Valentine's Day. My hubby's working the night shift tonight - he wasn't real happy about that but we're pretty low key so I didn't sweat it. Besides, he brought me a little box of chocolate to enjoy when I get the kids to bed. LOL

Amy Caroline said...

I am knitting brown socks for my Hubby too, lol. Though I have yet to figure out the two circulars. I get so far and then total confusion sets in.
And there are you, doing two at a time!
Show off, lol! :)

Adam J. said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgiLBvPGoT4&feature=related

Bethany said...

I hope you ladies had a nice Valentine's Day! I did finish the socks, though not till Friday. And Ben was very glad to have the clean tub to soak in, and the new socks the next day.

Amy, it's not actually too hard now that I've tried it. I resisted for a long while, but it is a lot easier for me to acutally finish a pair if I'm doing them both at the same time. I did cheat and take them off the circular needle to do the heel flap and heel turning and set up the gussets. I did all that one sock at a time on the double points, then put them back on the circular to keep going. I couldn't figure out how to pick up the gusset stitches and keep going with the magic loop. Lots of people use short row heels instead, so I can see how that would be an advantage with the magic loop method.

Related Posts with Thumbnails