Friday, February 08, 2008

Menu for 2-10 to 2-16

I planned this week's menu to try to use some things out of the freezer. I won't have to buy any meat for this menu, and should really only need to pick up some eggs, milk, yogurt, fruit, etc. I never list the veggies, but we usually have green beans or salad or something similar with dinner, and carrot sticks or cucumber slices or green pepper with lunch. And an apple or banana or orange for snacks.

At least, I try to remember the fruits and veggies. I think I've mentioned that hunger completely reduces my emotional control (I'm sure it's a low-blood sugar thing, right?), so sometimes I forget to make the healthy choices. But planning every meal definately helps me at those times, because I don't have to think, and I've planned ahead, so usually the food for lunch is simple and right there. This keeps me from eating cookie dough from the freezer for breakfast. (Not that I would ever in my life do something like that.)

I've also found that this type of planning keeps me from buying too many snack foods that are not so healthy, which is good, because those sorts of things usually become what I'll turn to when I'm hungry and before I know it, I've made an entire meal out of cheez-its. If I don't have those things around, and I know what I should be having for lunch, and the veggies are clean and cut up, I can manage to do the right thing. Obviously, it has to be a Perfect Storm of health.

I do usually add something for dessert in the evening after dinner. I find this really helps me avoid over-indulgence. For example, we'll do pudding or I'll bake a cookie or two for each of us from the freezer. Of course, we're planning lighter desserts like applesauce or fruit yogurt for Lent, and we don't have any sweets on fasting days.

Speaking of fasting, I'm re-thinking Pizza Night for Fridays. At least for the duration of Lent. I've put it there as a place holder for now, but after I talk it over with Ben, I'd like to change it for two reasons. One, I don't really like my homemade pizza to be meatless, but also, and more importantly, even without the meat, it seems too indulgent for what is supposed to be a fast day.

Sunday
B: Toast
L: Chicken Noodle Soup
D: Nachos

Monday
B: Blueberry Muffins
L: Tamales
D: Steak and Baked Potatoes

Tuesday
B: Muffins
L: Steak Burrito
D: Noodles and Sauce

Wednesday
B: Muffins
L: PB&J
D: Eggs and Polish Sausage

Thursday
B: Pancakes
L: Baked Potato
D: Chicken and Black Bean Fajitas

Friday
B: Pancakes
L:Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
D: Pizza Night!

Saturday
B: Cereal
L: Sandwiches
D: Lasagna

Check out how everyone else does it!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Melonie said...

I get verrrry cranky when my blood sugar drops too.

But what's so wrong about CheezIts for lunch? heehee

Bethany said...

Well, not too much every once in a great while, but I was getting in a very bad place with my cheez-it consumption for a time before we moved. And while we lived in the hotel. A very bad cheez it place. :)

Heart of Wisdom said...

Aren't you energized. I barely get dinners done.

I have two post this week.
1. My regular Menu Plan Monday at http://heartofwisdom.com/heartathome

2. An article about menu planning, online helps, and this meme on my other blog
http://heartofwisdom.com/blog


See you there :)

Hadias said...

Great menu Bethany. Stop by and check out this weeks craft project progress on my blog. Have a great week.

Related Posts with Thumbnails