Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A Rainy Day

Today is gray and rainy, and there are supposed to be big thunder storms coming through later. I'm actually enjoying it so far though, since it seems like a nice day to be inside my snug home and do some nice cozy, home-y things.

I've got some cleaning scheduled on my list for today. I have to bring the vaccum down from upstairs and clean the couch. I'm also planning to dust all the furniture. I have some phone calls to make. We need to find a new dr here in IL and make appts. I also want to call my new friend Dorothy and confirm that the homemakers' club meeting is next week.

I was thinking about baking something since today is Mardi Gras, but we won't finish it all today, and tomorrow Lent starts, so we want things to be a little more lean and spare. Leftover cake does not seem either lean or spare. We are having a particularly tasty dinner tonight. I'm trying a recipe from Cooks' Illustrated magazine for Crunchy Porkchops. With corn and mashed potatoes, it's going to be a very good meal, I think. I might make a box of pudding for dessert as well. A little celebration, but no leftovers to tempt us on Ash Wednesday.

Other than the not so thrilling tasks of cleaning and scheduling and the fun of a new recipe, I'm also working on some projects today. I'm finishing up some hot pads to match the apron I made last week. I wanted to use up as much of the scrap fabric as possible, so matching potholders seemed like a good choice. I'm sure Adam's friend doesn't need a purse to match his apron, lol. I've also got another ball of black Sugar and Cream yarn to knit into dishcloths to go with this gift. But I think I've already finished six, so I might just save the other ball for another time, weave in my ends and call it good.

One knitting project that I'm really looking forward to working on today is my sampler from
The Sweater Workshop. I started it during the Super Bowl, and yesterday evening I got as far as the short rows. I'm looking forward to learning some new techniques. Ben asked me yesterday what I was making, a hat? a purse? a sock? I explained that it was a sampler, but then was trying to think of a use for it. He said that if it's a sampler, that's the only use it needs, to teach me techniques. What do you all think? If you make something, does it need a use at the end, or is the experience enough?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh man, we had some severe rain-storms pass through here last night! Several farms flooded today.
I enjoyed listening to it, but it did seem odd in FEBRUARY! lol

Good for you on the knitting. I wish I knew how!

Btw, even though I'm new to your blog, I tagged you for a meme. Hope you don't mind!

Bethany said...

I don't mind at all, thanks for inviting me.

Knitting is plenty easy, I definately say go for it if you get the chance to learn!

Related Posts with Thumbnails