Saturday, March 22, 2008

18 hr, No Knead Bread from Cook's Illustrated Feb. 08


3 c. of Flour (the recipe calls for all purpose, but I used bread flour the second time and got a much smoother dough. so either, I guess)

1/4 t. of instant yeast (I used regular, about 3/8 of a t. and it worked just fine)

1 1/2 t. table salt

3/4 c. plus 2 T. room temperature water

1/4 c. plus 2 T. Bud (they call for a mild lager instead of stout ale or something else because it adds more of a yeasty bread taste)

1 T. white vinegar (I had apple cider, so I used that. it worked fine.)

Whisk together the first three ingredients, then add the rest and fold it together till it forms a ball. Cover losely with plastic wrap, and let sit for 12 - 18 hours somewhere room temperature. I just put it in the cool oven to keep it safe from the cats.

After the wait time, knead the dough on a floured surface about ten times, form it into a ball, and place it into a skillet or shallow dish that's line with parchment paper sprayed with non stick spray. Spray top of dough lightly with nonstick spray. I'm not sure if the nonstick spray is strictly required, but make sure to use parchment paper, not waxed paper. Let it sit at room temperature for about two hours.

Half an hour before baking, put the dutch oven in the oven, and heat to 500 degrees. In the meantime, lightly flour the top of the dough ball and cut a slit in it with a sharp knife. Once the oven is heated, carefully take the dutch oven out and use the parchment paper to drop the bread down into the dutch oven. Just leave the extra paper hanging around the top. Put the lid on, turn the oven down to 425 and bake for half an hour. Then take the lid off the dutch oven and continue baking the bread till it's browned, about twenty minutes.

This does seem like a complicated recipe, but it's easier than it looks. I think Cook's Illustrated is just that kind of magizine. All their recipes make you feel like a real chef or baker. I highly reccommend the magazine if you get to browse it, it's so interesting. They really go into the science and the testing of their methods. My MIL showed it to me, and I just love it. If I'm a very good girl, I've been promised a subscription from my inlaws next Christmas!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Molly said...

Hey, Bethany! I've been catching up on your blog for a week or so now, but I wanted to post on this one because this bread looks great and I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I love Cook's Illustrated. Our local library carries them and I try to check them out when I can. This past week I borrowed a great cookbook from Cook's Country (part of CI) called America's Best Lost Recipes. It had some really great looking recipes in it, and I think you would like looking at it.

I'm sorry I haven't been in touch. . .We were in a car wreck coming home from Virginia after New Year's, and that in itself has created a several month long hassle. We also found out we are going to have baby #3 in September 08, and I've had the first trimester tiredness which is tough when you have a 12 year old and 3 year old. Anyway, I hope you and Ben are getting adjusted to the area and sorry for all the HORRIBLE weather! : )

Thank you so much for your blog. I really enjoy reading it and I get a lot of ideas from it. I am trying to get into a better cleaning and cooking schedule by using the Flylady's methods and by doing Once a Month Cooking, 'cause I'm afraid if I don't start now we may lose the baby in all my clutter! : )

Well, I hope you have a blessed week and everything is going well for you and Ben. Talk to you again soon.
Molly

Bethany said...

Molly! I'm so glad to hear from you. Congratulations on the new little one! I'm sorry to hear about the accident, but I assume everyone is okay? That's a blessing, if so. I'm glad you're enjoying my blog, and I'm still hoping to meet you sometime! Maybe some weekend when our car is available I could meet you for lunch or something. I hope you continue to feel well, and don't be a stranger! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails