Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake

Ben and I were woken up this morning at about 4:30 by the house rattling and the bed shaking.

There was a 5.3 scale earthquake east of here and they say people as far away as Cincinnatti felt it. It was about ten seconds long, and at first I thought there was a storm picking up and the wind was making the wall rattle, but then I realized the bed was shaking too. It was super weird.

We're perfectly fine, the house doesn't have any damage. I don't think the neighbors have any damage either, except for the back neighbor's old falling down barn fell in. But, you know, it was old and falling down anyway.

I've got to say, it was pretty sureal, and I didn't get much more sleep, so I'm pretty tired this morning, but I'm very thankful that there wasn't any damage here. And from what I've read so far, no one was hurt anywhere else either. So I suppose it was just a pretty interesting thing. And now I can tell my grandkids some day about the Great Illinois Earthquake of '08.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Alison said...

We could have an earthquake so devastating that it would flatten the entire city and Andy would sleep right through it. Something that quick, though, I'm not sure if it would wake me up and I'm a pretty light sleeper.

Bethany said...

I was actually half awake at the time because I'd just gone to the bathroom a bit before. It woke Ben right up though, he was all, what the HECK is that?! But it was pretty much over by the time we'd gotten out of bed. The pictures on the walls all kept vibrating though. It was weird.

Melonie said...

My husband (from IN) experienced his first earthquake a few months after we moved here to CA. Having been through a bunch of them up in WA, I didn't even think about it being anything exciting until he admitted it was his "first". *chuckle*

Glad to hear no damage was done to your place and you're safe and sound!

Related Posts with Thumbnails