Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Home Sweet Home!

It's very good to be home again. I love to travel, and I particularly like Kentucky, but there's just something about the comfort of home that makes me feel so safe and secure.

We did have a great time though, so don't think I didn't enjoy my vacation! We went to the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace memorial site (where the rangers are super nice, but they don't seem to want to come out and admit that Lincoln wasn't actually born in the cabin in the memorial building), the Abraham Lincoln Boyhood Home site (where there are no rangers, and the cabin has fallen into such disrepair that it's held up with two by fours bolted to the logs around the outside) and to Shakertown of Pleasant Hill (where there aren't any Shakers anymore, but plenty home decorating inspiration... if your tastes run to the austre like mine do).

This morning we returned the car to the Avis in Collinsville. I drove our car there, because I'm nice like that and wouldn't expect my husband to walk home fifteen miles in the freezing damp even though I'm scared to drive. I actually did okay, and need to learn to not be scared of driving. I was annoyed with having to try to keep up with Speedy McLeadfoot, but that's partly because I'm a Slow-y McMolasses.

I spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon getting the house, mainly the kitchen, put back in order. I gave the counters and cupboards a much needed thorough cleaning. Meaning, I took everything off them, then sanitized all over, not just the parts that usually show. I also caught up on the laundry and cleaned out the pantry. I did all the bookkeeping and paid all the bills, and now I'm planning to relax with a book for an hour or so until Ben finishes work.

I have a very fun project planned for this evening. We bought a kit at a brewing store in Corydon, IN and tonight we're going to use it and make Root Beer! I'm very excited about this and promise some pictures of the process.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Melonie said...

Glad you're back safely. What a shame about the boyhood cabin. :-( You sure have gotten a lot done since you got back. Perhaps I need to go away for the weekend so I'll get some housework done. haha

Related Posts with Thumbnails