Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Making Root Beer

Yesterday's root beer making was quite a lot of fun. Of course, we don't know how it turned out yet, you have to wait 3-14 days for the carbonation to form before it's ready.

Here is our kit with everything that came in it. I appreciate having it all put together in one place for me and those are some nifty bottles, but you could try this less expensively by following the instructions here and not bothering with the $25 dollar kit.

Though the kit did include these neato rubber gasketed lids that allow pressure to escape, there-by eliminating explosions.

After sanitizing everything with the included sanitizer solution, you bloom some yeast and then in a separate bowl stir together the root beer flavoring, two cups of white sugar and a cup of brown sugar, maltodextrin crystals, then add the yeast water. This is shaken up with enough water to make a gallon in a gallon jug.

Then you fill the bottles! That was fun. Ben took lots and lots of action shots of this step, but I won't pretend they're fascinating.

Here is the filled and covered bottle, as I'm finding a "dark, room temperature place" for it. I don't know if anywhere in our house actually counts as room temperature considering that the thermostat is set at 65, but I just put them in one of the cupboards and we'll see how long it takes for the carbonation to grow.
All in all, I do think this is a really good kit. It included absolutely everything you need, except for the gallon jug, water, sugar, and measuring spoons. I think the bottles are really cool looking, and the pressure release valve does provide a little piece of mind when you imagine what cleaning up an area in which root beer exploded might be like. The instructions were clear and fairly well written, and provided information about the science involved in making root beer. There are also a couple of other experiments outlined, like filling up a balloon by mixing vinegar and baking soda, that kids would really find fun.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Mary said...

Hi!
We made root beer one time and we happened to put twice the yeast that we should have and they all blew up!!
He He

Melonie said...

Wow - that looks super fun! I may have to tell Manly about it.

I also wanted to pop by and tell you about a great giveaway my friend Lisa's doing - a free soy candle. Here's the link to her post (tho you can also find it on my blog, of course)

http://www.homesteadoriginals.com/?p=54

Good luck if you enter!

CastoCreations said...

That is SO cool!!!

April said...

This looks like it would be a great activity for me to try out with my kids. Thanks for sharing.

Bethany said...

I hope if any of you try it, you'll let me know if you have fun.
I'm curious if kids really would like it, because there's lots of kid birthdays coming up in my family soon.
Mary, so far mine haven't exploded, but they're far from ready. I hope that gasket does it's job!

Related Posts with Thumbnails