Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Busy Week - Also, Please Advise!

We've got lots of company coming at the end of the week. Ben's parents and his brother will be here on Saturday afternoon, and as they leave on Monday, they'll be passing my parents and my sister on their way to visit till Thursday. I've been getting ready for lots of visitors this week.

I've been working on cleaning the small things that you don't usually notice, like corners and such. And also some big things that I have a tendency to skip, like polishing the floors instead of just sweeping them. I'm not too house proud, I tend to focus on just plain clean, rather than impressive, but I do think I should be able to offer guests a place to sit that won't cover them in cat hair.

I'm also getting lots of baking and cooking out of the way now and freezing things, so I don't feel like I have to spend lots of time in the kitchen when people are here. On Monday I put together an apple pie to thaw and bake, and I also baked banana muffins for our breakfasts this week, and for the freezer to pull out for breakfast this weekend. I mixed up a batch of chocolate chip cookies and froze the dough balls for a quick dessert. Yesterday I made a batch of blueberry muffins to have in the freezer for next week, and I made lasagnas for the freezer.

I ran into a problem with my lasagna though. I boiled a whole box of noodles, which gave me enough for a big lasagna, a square lasagna, and four little pyrex custard bowl sized lasagnas made with the leftover ends. Anyway, I ate one of the little personal ones for lunch yesterday, and it was way too salty! I don't know if I salted the water too much, or if there was too much salt in the cheese or tomato sauce. Probably a combination of the three. But now I have a huge amount of prepared lasagna that's just way way too salty. Anyone have any ideas of what I could do, or how I could serve it to make it more palatable? I guess I'm glad I tasted it before baking a big one for guests, but I can't let it all go to waste, so I'd love it if anyone has any thoughts at all on fixing it somehow.

I'm planning more food preparation for today, and I also am putting a basket together to run over to the neighbors so I'll check in later and post some pictures (and check your advice! lol).

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Valorie said...

The only solution I know to too salty food is to add sugar until it's right. Since it's already made up and frozen, you may choose to pop it into a skillet, add sugar and chop it up with your mixing spoon to mix it all through. Either heat it that way or put it back in your casserole dish to bake. It won't be a pretty layered lasagna, but it also wont dehydrate folks when they try to eat it :)

Bonnie Story said...

Hi! This may seem a bit far-out, but I recall a fantastic frittata served by a friend at brunch that had chunks of leftover lasagna in it! It was really good. She had first done a shallow layer of mixed lasagna chunks n' beaten egg, baked it for just 8 or 9 minutes, then poured another layer of egg with sprinkled herbs mixed in over top, so the frittata did not look at first like it had chunks of lasagna in it, just smooth eggy, herby goodness, but the chunks became visible when we cut into it - it really was so delicious. May want to give it a go with the smaller lasagnas as a test. The too-salty flavor should be mellowed perfectly by the eggs. Have fun with your company!! Great blogging as always! Bonnie

Mary said...

The Frittata sounds like a really good idea to me!!

CastoCreations said...

I have no advice, as you know I'm not a cook (yet!). :) But I love salt so I'd probably love it as is. LOL

I'm just in awe of your preparation and ability to have guests over like that. I could never do that.

I'm not sure how to use my freezer properly either. We rarely take things out of the freezer once they are in (unless they started there). My MIL freezes everything. :)

Bethany said...

Thank you for the ideas. I thawed two of the personal sized ones to try them out and see what works. Eggs with lasagna does seem like a good idea, but I don't know if my family will eat it. I'll probably just serve something else to my guests and do the sugar thing or the fritata thing for Ben and myself.

Related Posts with Thumbnails