Tuesday, June 10, 2008

1958

On Saturday, I browsed some fun antique dealer stalls around the park where we met friends to watch an Old-Time-y baseball game and go on a home tour. I picked up about five of these little cookbooks from Good Housekeeping. Each one has a different theme. Judging from the picture, you migh think the theme for this one is "Braaaaaaaaainssssss......". But it's not. Obviously, it's Egg and Cheese, Spaghetti and Rice Dishes. Considering that the eggs are not strictly with the cheese, and I haven't found a single recipe that combines spaghetti and rice, I don't know why it's written quite like that.

I do know that food stylists of the fifties should hang their heads in shame. These dishes are Susan's Macaroni, Tomato and Cheese on the left, and on the right is Nan's French Fondue.


I think this chicken is just pretty happy to be in the pasta section of the book, instead of the egg section.

Anyway, I bought this one in particular because I thought it might be cool to have lots of egg recipes on hand when our chickens start laying. I haven't gotten the chance to check out many of the recipes yet, but I'm planning to do that now for a little while till Ben's done with work. If I find any great ones, I'll share.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Amy Caroline said...

That looks so cool!! I love old cookbooks. And yeah, the pictures leaving something to be desired, but I bet they are yummy!

Sushi said...

Hi Bethany, sorry you have tendonitis! These books are cool, you can also find those in estate/garage sales sometimes. Ok, the cake I told you about is already posted! Hope you get better soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails