Monday, June 23, 2008

Bacon and Cheese Biscuit Egg Sandwiches


These breakfast sandwiches are made of Bacon and Cheese Biscuit wedges that are split and filled with scrambled eggs.


Here are the finished biscuits. It's pretty much a standard biscuit recipe with four slices of crumbled bacon and a cup (by volume, not weight) of shredded cheddar cheese added after the butter has been cut in, but before the milk is added. I patted this into a round dish and cut the wedges before baking them.

I scrambled eight eggs, but instead of using a skillet to cook them...


I poured them into the same well greased round casserole dish.

I baked them at 350 for fifteen to twenty minutes. You'd have to experiment with yours, my oven seems to bake very hot. I got this idea from this tip, here.


After they cooled a bit, I cut the eggs into eight matching wedges.

I split the biscuit wedges with a sharp serated knife, and put an egg wedge in each one.


They were so yummy! The only thing I might do differently in the future is to use a sharper cheddar. I used medium and didn't get a big cheese flavor. And it only makes sense that if I'm eating the fat in the cheese, I want to be able to taste it!


Since this isn't really an every day sort of breakfast, I individually wrapped each sandwhich in foil and put all the foil wrapped packages in a labeled freezer bag. I popped them in the freezer for convienent breakfasts when we're on the go. I'm thinking that they'll reheat well if I thaw overnight and then rewarm in the toast oven, but I'll have to try it and see how it works first.

Here's a cost breakdown:

Flour - $.20

Baking Powder and Salt - too small to count

Butter - $.30

Bacon - Leftover from another meal, but the amount of bacon I used probably cost about $.80

Cheese - $.60

Milk - $.25

This means the entire batch of biscuits cost $2.15. Divided by 8 equals $.27 a wedge. The eggs cost $.10 each which brings the meal to a grand total of $.37 a sandwich. Totally beats McDonald's!

And even though this isn't really an everyday breakfast, it's not that bad for you either. Each biscuit only has half a slice of bacon and about less than half an ounce of cheese. There's one egg in each sandwich and the butter is about a 1/4 of an ounce. You could also easily adjust the biscuits to use turkey bacon or crumbled turkey or chicken sausage.

I'm glad that I ran across that tip for baking the eggs, because I love breakfast sandwiches and have wanted to make my own for a while, but couldn't ever figure out a good way to get the egg to stay in one piece on the sandwich. These are a slightly healthier and much cheaper version of one of my favorite treats!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Shelly said...

Wow, what a great idea and they look delicous! I am going to give this a try too! You have a great blog!

Julie said...

Yum.

CastoCreations said...

Oh my goodness those look divine! My favorite sandwich is an egg (scrambled is okay as long as they aren't *too* scrambled) on an English muffin (whole wheat please) and then lunch meat and laughing cow cheese. My favorite!!! =)

Bethany said...

Thanks Shelly, I'm glad you like it. I hope you'll continue to enjoy my posts!

Julie, you can say that again.

That sounds like a totally yummy sandwich. I love egg sandwiches!

Kacie said...

Those look incredible! I totally want to eat one right now!

Related Posts with Thumbnails