Friday, June 27, 2008

Finished Sewing Projects!

I'm feeling so good today because I got some sewing done! It's good to have finally gotten some fabric projects finished. I made a few new projects and finished some that were halfway through.

Here are two dish towel aprons for my mom. She liked mine a lot and picked these towels out for some of her own.

And here is a work apron for her. They can buy plain ones, but she thought it would be fun to have one made out of this colorful coffee cup fabric. This was an easy project, just two layers of fabric. Then I finished all the edges with bias tape using my bias tape foot on the machine, starting with the top of the pocket, then the sides, then the bottom (folding the bottom corners of bias tape in and stiching them down for a clean finish. I used one whole length of bias tape for the ties and to finish the top edge, by centering the apron in the bias tape and just sewing the bias tape closed until I hit the apron.
And I also finished this skirt that I started a few months ago. I made it from a recycled sheet from Goodwill. It's a standard tiered skirt. The first tier is as big as my hips plus a few inches, the second tier is two of those strips, and the third tier is four times the first. I hemmed the bottom just by using a rolled hem on the serger. Right now the waist has a drawstring because it turns out I'm out of my stock of elastic, so I'll have to pick up some elastic to finish it completely, but I can wear it with the drawstring for now. It doesn't look quite so full and frilly on me, but it's definately ruffle-y, so I'm a bit unsure if I like how it turned out. Well, that's not quite true, I know that I really like the way it turned out, but I don't know if it's fashionable enough to wear. Maybe I'll post pictures of me wearing it next week, and you all can help me decide.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Molly said...

your sewing looks great! i love the dish cloth aprons. . .

we are cleaning out a BUNCH of stuff in preparation for the new baby and I came across several Vogue knitting magazines I got for 10 cents each at the library (mostly 2005 2006). I bought them to look at yarn 'cause I only crochet and now I don't need them. Would you be interested in them (I could mail them to you)

Also, you do not know how happy the dishcloths I won have made me. They are really GREAT for cleaning and washing dishes and I love them. I am working on a simple crocheted version and plan to give the women in the family a set with hand lotion and soap for Christmas. thank you so much again. what did you use to make the scrubbies, if you don't mind me asking?

Blue Castle said...

I like your aprons and the skirt. It's fun to wear a swishy skirt. I made a long tiered skirt a couple of years ago, but thought it was maybe too "little girl" for me, but I really like wearing it. Sometimes you gotta wear what you like. :)

Alison said...

very cute skirt. I need to break the sewing machine out again, I haven't felt much like doing anything crafty lately.

Bethany said...

Thanks, ladies! I am concerned that my skirt might be a bit "little girl" or even a tad "turn of the century underwear". I haven't gotten pics of me in it yet. Maybe sometime this week.

Molly, I'd love the magazines. I'd be happy to pay you back for the shipping if you'd like. Also, I'm super glad you still like your dishcloths! Of course I don't mind you asking, the scrubby is made of tulle. Hobby Lobby sells it in rolls that are about 6 inches wide in lots of colors (in the fabric dept for $2 or $3. There's sparkly and non. Sparkly costs more, so watch for that. I'd say one roll would let me knit three or four of those, but that's a guess). I just bunched it up and knit it off the roll as it was. I've also made my own "tulle yarn" by cutting tulle yardage into a long strip.

I was thinking that a really cute project in crochet would be to make a circle in tulle and then a circle in yarn and put those back to back and edge them with yarn. Then you'd have a one side scrubby/one side soft dish cloth. Let me know if you try it!

CastoCreations said...

I think it's an adorable skirt. It's very summery and looks comfy. I don't wear many skirts but that style is so fun. I'd totally wear it. =)

Molly said...

that's a great idea for the scrubbies! can't wait to try it.

I don't mind sending you the magazines at all, don't worry about the shipping. I don't know exactly when I'll get them mailed, as my pregnancy and toddler are somewhat zapping me this week, but keep a look out! i may need your address again. . .I'll e-mail you if so

and enjoy this (hopefully) sunny week

Related Posts with Thumbnails