Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Making Laundry Soap

I bought ingredients at the Amish bulk foods store to make some of my own laundry soap. I've read about it on lots of different blogs and really wanted to give it a try. I think Crystal does a great job of showing how to do it.

Here are my ingredients. I used a bar of soap called cashmere. It was the cheapest on the shelf, at three bars for ninety-nine cents.
I think the grated soap is pretty. I'm weird like that. I used a grater that we had bought when all our things were packed up that we'd needed for temporary use. I saved it just to do weird things lik grate bars of soap with it.


Here is the soap melting on the stovetop with the hot water. I looked and looked for my "crafting" pot, but couldn't find it, so I ended up using one of my regular cooking pots and making sure to rinse it very well afterward.


Here is the entire batch right after I've mixed it up. It solidified into a gross solution, just like all the other blogs say it does. It really does look like some kind of disgusting white egg drop soup.

So far, I think it's working really well. I think that what I would do differently would be to use real laundry soap, like Fels Naptha. I'd also like to add lavender for disinfectant and scent purposes. I also think it might be good to get some tea tree oil to add a few drops at a time to the whites and towels and sheets. Plus, I've heard that it's a good idea to use white vinegar in the rinse water as well. I did use a whole cup each of the borax and washing soda, and I would definately do that again.

Ben and I figured out the cost and for this whole batch it was less than a dollar to make. I can do about 50-60 loads of laundry with this much detergent, so I think that as long as we're happy with the cleanliness of our clothes, this is a great way to go. I was having a hard time fitting laundry soap into my cvs deals, so this is just much better.

I'm planning to pour it into empty detergent jugs to make it easier to use and measure. I think that'll be much more pleasant and sanitary than dipping my hand and the cup right into the bucket!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Blue Castle said...

I have fond memories of making my own laundry soap. I had a big 5 gallon bucket filled with the gloppy mess. I used it on diapers even and it worked great. It's satisfying to make something you need inexpensively.

CastoCreations said...

WOW! $1 for 50-60 loads?!?!? That is incredible. I couldn't stomach spending $10 for 100 oz of Tide. Not to mention fabric softener.

Every day it gets harder to come to work. *sigh*

Thanks for dropping by my blog. :) I really enjoy reading your comments. =D

Sushi said...

Wow, you also make soap from scratch, really crafty. Do you remember me? Hope so. I told you my Grandma makes and decorates cakes beautifully. I just posted them today on my blog, go take a look at www.mypoochlife.blogspot.com
Has the weather in St.Louis gotten really hot yet? See ya Bethany!

Bethany said...

I definately is a big gloppy mess! But I think it's working. It doesn't give the clothes any scent though, which seems weird after Tide.

I was using coupons and CVS to get my detergent almost free, but it seems like a big ticket item that doesn't usually give ECB's, so it's not easy for me to work it in. I'm no professional cvs-er. So this is totally better!

Sushi, it seems hot to me, but I know it gets a lot hotter. It rains every day, or at least every other day. Thanks for letting me know about your grandma's cakes, I'll drop by and check them out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails