Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy Independence Day!

It's the Fourth of July, and I'm celebrating by planning a Revolutionary lunch. Well, it's close in my opinion, but Ben keeps questioning my authenticity. I'm planning ribs, and while they might not have been served quite the same way in 1776, they're standing in for a pit roasted pig. Which I'm sure they did prepare and serve. Probably with a tangy sauce too, because who can resist a tangy sauce?

The mac and cheese really is a french dish that Jefferson enjoyed and had served while he was president (maybe not the same recipe, but you know, how much can a cheese sauce change?). And while I don't know if sweet corn on the cob is traditionally an American food, corn is certainly indigenous to the continent. I'll admit that the canned pork n beans are not ideal, but the idea is the same, and we're representing the Boston patriots, Sam Adams and John Adams. Come to think of it, maybe I should have bought some Sam Adams? :)

I haven't found a period appropriate dessert in my cook books yet, so I'll probably settle for chocolate cake. And then go searching for evidence of chocolate cake at the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

Anyway, I thought it would be a fun way to celebrate, since we're not planning to go to any fireworks or anything today. Most of our friends are out of town, and neither one of us really likes fireworks all that much. I'm also planning to make Ben watch 1776 with me. I just discovered it a few weeks ago, and I loved it! I don't know why I'd never watched it before, but I really enjoyed it. I told him he's got to humor me and pretend to like it even if he doesn't enjoy it. I wanted to get The Patriot with Mel Gibson too, but couldn't find it at Borders or Best Buy.

Anyone have any great Fourth of July movie suggestions?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Melonie said...

Well, it wasn't our Revolution, but there WAS a revolution with cake involved. "Let you (them) eat cake!" ;-)

Bethany said...

There's a thought, I could have made Petit Fours.

We ended up with smores under the broiler, which is not only not historical, but also, according to my brother, "cheating" when it comes to making smores. But cheating or not, they were delicious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails