Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Let's Go Outside

I thought it was about time that I showed off my garden a bit, since it's been growing for just about a month now. And while I was outside, I took some pictures of the house and the land, because I realized I hadn't shared what the house looks like when it's not covered in snow. This wasn't really the best time of day for taking pictures, and you'll have to excuse the weeds in the garden. I swear I had it all clean and pretty, but then it rained and rained, and it's been too wet to get back out there, so they're growing like crazy.

Here is the view down our driveway across the street. The farmer who owns that field just planted soy beans a couple of weeks ago, and they're coming up pretty well. It's nice to see a green field now, rather than a scrubby one.


Here's the view to the northwest. I like the barn way out there, it makes me feel like I really live in the country now.


This is a wisteria that has been growing like crazy on the dog run fence. I have to train it to go along the fence rather than into the dog run, but I'm not sure how you do that. Just tie it to the slats?

Here is our garden. It's on the west end of the house and the buildings in the background are our neighbors to the back. They're the ones with horses. And way back there are other neighbors on a different street. Our property line is right along the line of poplar trees.


My mini pumpkin plants are doing really well. I hope they really come up mini pumpkins. I saved the seeds from one we bought last year, so I don't know for sure they'll come true.


Here is the corn patch. I checked and it was definately knee high last Friday.


The four hills are my pie pumpkins. Once again, I hope they come up the same as the pumpkin I saved them from. It was from the grocery store, so I don't know if they will. There's a row of radishes running down the center. They're just about big enough to eat now. The biggest ones are just right.
This picture is of the eight tomato plants in the tomato cages, but it turned out pretty badly. I'll have to try again sometime when the light is better.

This row is peas. I have no idea if we'll actually get any, since it's so hot now and they got a late start, but we figured it was worth a try.


Two rows of bush beans. They came up very poorly. I don't really know why, since I planted one row and Ben planted the other, and they aren't even the same kind of bean, but there you go.


But the pole beans came up really well. We have to put in tellis or net for them to climb this weekend, they're starting to get their tendrils.


Here are the squash hills. There's acorn in the front and buttercup in the back. The middle one, butternut, never came up at all. I might try again and see if we get any, because butternut is my favorite. There's okra growing in there as well, but it really blends in with the weeds.


Here are the two pickle rows. We planted Boston Pickler and Burpee Pickler. Don't ask me the difference, we were just using seeds that were gifts. But both kinds are doing really well, and I'm not really planning to keep them separate or anything when we pick and can them.


This picture was supposed to be of the seven different kinds of pepper plants, but once again, I'll have to get a better one later when the light is different.


This is the better one of my two carving pumpkin plants. There's okra in this bed as well. I think Ben's got 12 or 14 okra plants all together. He planted it randomly and I've stepped on, like, three of them, because if it's not in a row I tend to stomp it. Actually, with my big clown feet and complete lack of grace, I've even been known to stomp rows. But plants are resilient, right?


This the view of the house from the road.


And here are the front flower beds and the front porch.


This is the back deck. I planted some catnip in a little bed to the left of the steps yesterday.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Beautiful! It must be relaxing to live in such an open spot! Thanks for the tour.

Alison said...

I was just talking to my mom about your house and garden yesterday. I don't know, she feels the need to fill me in on the lives of people I went to high school with so she told me all about the Chomas family yesterday and then she asked all about you. My mom is nosey.

Anyway, thanks for the pics. Now I have a much better idea of what things look like when you blog about them. If everything comes up in your garden it looks like you'll have your hands full with canning the fall.

Bethany said...

It is SO relaxing to live out in the open. The area our house is in is very much like my parents' area, so it feels right to live how I grew up again. Much better than the city for me!

Alicat, how are Helena and all the various Chomii?

That's nice of your mom to wonder about me. My parents really liked it when I showed them some of your pictures on your blog. Tell her I say Hi and that now I live in a place that looks just like Crump. With a few less bars.

I hope everything in the garden comes out and produces well, but I might just be blocking out how many hours I'm going to have to be smashing tomatoes and cutting corn off the cob. Want to come visit and have a work bee? I'll let you take some jam home with you. :D

Julie said...

Wow..... very nice. I think you're turning into my mom (in a good way).

Bethany said...

Ha! I've got miles to go before I'm as good as your mom. My bathrooms are not clean. And if you look closely at the picture of the yarn up above, you'll see that I'm not lying about the furballs on the couch. But thank you very much for the compliment.

Melonie said...

This is incredible! I love your place. :-) I am coveting, totally. lol

RE: the wisteria - yes, you can train it by just tying the new growth to the slats of the dog run. Use something soft, like twine (ie not fishing line) so that it doesn't cut into the plant as it grows. Personally I like to take anything vining and weave it through a little, then tie it. That way you'll have a little more support, and by the time the weather degrades the ties, the plant will be hardy enough that it will have grown around and through wherever you trained it to. :-) In this case, since you want it to cover the run but not the inside of it, just wait until you've got enough growth to gently weave it through a slat then BACK OUT to the front side. Then tie it on the front side. That way it's trained to go back to the uh, front. ;-)

AS for the pumpkins... unless they were organic, you will probably get some sort of hybrid something if they fruit. You could get something nice, but it "probably" won't look like the parent fruit you took the seeds from. However, if it was organic, you're "probably" in the clear. That said, anything can happen with God's creatures...even the ones man has messed with in the name of grocery store production. ;-P

Alison said...

It sounds like the Chomii are doing well. Mary and her husband just had their 2nd baby and Helena is teaching at some school... um... I forget where. Her husband just graduated college and got a job .

If I had the time, I'd love to come work in your garden. I'm on a waiting list to get a plot in a community garden here. I hope I get a plot next year!

Blue Castle said...

Your house is beautiful! And your garden looks great! You have a lovely piece of land.

Adam J. said...

piece of land - LOL!

Related Posts with Thumbnails