Wednesday, July 02, 2008

A Theory of Relativity

Now I understand.

See, when people see our garden, they all say, "That's a really big garden."

And I thought it would be, because it's 20X100 feet. I thought, that's all the garden anyone could ask for. But then we planted it, and I kind of thought it was small.

I mean, there's not enough room to grow a years worth of pumpkins and squash, and we didn't even put in potatoes or popcorn or greens or turnips or carrots. I keep thinking that next year it will have to be twice as big, plus a few pumpkin patches and a patch for popcorn. More garden, that was my mantra.

Then I had to hoe the weeds. And my garden became an endless expanse. A Sahara of gardens.

And now I've learned what the more experienced gardeners were saying. They know that a garden grows exponentially when you've got a hoe in your hand.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Ugh, weeds! I spent so long pulling weeds when I was a kid. I'm sure it was good for my character, but that didn't make me like it! Good luck. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

Bethany said...

I don't remember having to do much weed pulling. To the detriment of my character, I'm sure. I think my plan is lacking though. Obviously, I should be doing a little every day and not trying to do the whole garden in one go. As soon as the ground dries, I'll be back out there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails