Monday, September 22, 2008

Bad Blogger!

I am a bad blogger because I completely forgot to take any pictures at all of my lunch buffet or of our apple processing party! But I'm sure you can imagine them. For the sandwich set up, I used four trays; one for breads (whole wheat bagels, french rolls, and tortillas), one for the meats and cheeses (provolone, cheddar, and co-jack, ham, turkey breast, salami, and pepperoni), one for all the condiments and one for the veggie toppings and acoutrement (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, celery and carrot sticks, dill pickles, green pepper, and onion). To get a good idea of how the apple processing went, see this post, and just imagine four people and about ten times as many apples. My apple peeler is getting quite the work out this week.


This morning I got to do more pumpkins and squash. One was getting a soft spot, and I was afraid they'd all follow, so I had to pick the pumpkins, and Ben donated his acorn squashes to the pumpkin puree for pies and pancakes and muffins cause. He's very self-less. Here's my post on processing pumpkins and squash.
A fair amount of the apples we stocked up on are destined for the dryer. I want to have plenty of dried apple pieces for snacking on, and also for apple bits in muffins and cakes and such as well. My dehydrator will hold eight apples at a time, and it takes 6-8 hours to get them dry enough. So you can imagine that I'll have it going all the time this week. The plums are some that Ben bought a couple of weeks ago at the Farmers' Market, and sort of forgot to eat. They were getting sort of soft, so I figured it would be best to do something with them.
Here are some finished dried apples in a quart jar. The apples will keep just fine for quite awhile in an air tight container like this on the pantry shelf. For long term storage, they could also be put into the freezer, but I'm planning to just put my extra jars in the unheated part of our attic until I open them.

I'm getting really convinced of how great canning jars are for regular storage and freezing. They're glass, so there's no worry about weird plastic chemicals getting into food, and they're reusable, so there's no cost in landfill space or money when one is emptied, and all the quart jars we have were free to us to begin with, thanks to my generous mother in law and a friend in the Homemaker's club!

I packed the pumpkin puree from today into pint and quart jars for the freezer as well. All those 19 quarts of pie filling went into freezer bags though, because, unfortunately, I don't have the freezer room for that many jars in there. But if I ever get an upright, I'd like to phase out the bags as much as possible.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Blue Castle said...

Sounds like you had fun. I'm getting hungry reading about your snack trays. :)

I just finished doing 22 quarts of applesauce. Canning is not easy! Good job on preserving your harvest. You're inspiring.

Julie said...

Did you slap your hand when you wrote "Bad Blogger"?

Bethany said...

Wow, 22 quarts? How many pounds of apples did that take? I'm hoping to get at least that many quarts of applesauce canned, and I'm wondering if I won't need to go to the farmers' market and buy another bushel, after I've dried as many as we need and Ben's used some to make his spiced apple rings for Christmas.

Jules, no, but that was just the tone I had in my head.

Related Posts with Thumbnails