Thursday, September 11, 2008

It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

I ended up with 8lbs. of usable grapes after I sorted and cleaned them, and that made 15 half-pint jars of the low sugar grape jam. I was trying to be as sparing with the sugar as possible (I used honey, but I didn't have enough, only half a cup or so... Julie, you gotta hook me up, lol), so I'm a little concerned that it might be too tart, but I suppose I'll deal with that when I come to it. I can always melt it back down and add sugar to it if need be. Also, I think my strainer may have grated the seeds into the puree a little, but I'll just pretend it's like strawberry seeds or something.
I'm such a messy canner. Ben does a much better job.
I'm not worried at all about it not jelling, it was jelled on the ladle and the sides of the pan when I was finished, so I think that part will come out just fine.


Here's today's project: opalka tomatoes. I think this will be just enough for a quart of sauce. I'll bet the suspense is killing you all. :D

Yesterday was a very busy day, with my jam making and a meeting of the homemakers' club, I didn't get the chance to sit down and relax till about six when Ben got home. He walked in just after the last jar had pinged, and I'd balanced the last big pot on the pile in the dish drainer. Then he was super sweet and made me dinner. Today, I'm glad just to have the sauce to do, and to not need to go anywhere. Well, I might do green beans while the sauce reduces, but that's not really hard at all.

It was also a red letter day. We got two eggs in one day! They had been coming one a day, but I guess that means things are picking up!

I posted an add on craigslist today looking to barter apples for processing. I don't know if anyone will take me up on it, but I really want to be able to put up lots of apples, and that seems like a fairly cheap way of getting some. I might try posting on freecycle again, but I'm not sure how often a person can make the same request on there. Once a week? Anyone know the ettiquette?

I'm still working on my pi shawl. I want to get it finished before the really cold weather comes, but now there's so many stitches on it, each round takes me about an hour! It's perfect knitting for watching tv or reading. I keep thinking about starting another one when this one is finished! I suffer from craft-project ADD. Speaking of which, I might set aside the knitting this afternoon and work on the fall and Halloween embroidered banners. I've put those out of my mind ever since the two different reds in the flag banner mishap, but I think enough time has passed, and I'll talk myself into going out of order so I can have the cute Halloween one in time. My project ADD will have to fight and beat my project OCD.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Alison said...

What a great way to get free food, lol. It was so nice of that lady to pick them and bring them to your house. I hope everything tastes yummy!

Bethany said...

I know! I kept telling her she really didn't have to do that, that I'd be happy to go pick them myself. Maybe she just wanted to get outside and do something... it was a very pretty day out that day.

Oh, and I hope the free food thing works out, lol. I love canning stuff, but buying apples at the store just makes it more expensive than buying whatever the end result is. So I figured, if I could get someone else's apples.... I'm diabolical, huh? :P

Related Posts with Thumbnails