Friday, September 26, 2008

Slaving Over a Hot Stove

Obviously, I would never in a million years really complain about cooking, since it's one of my favorite things to do, but so far today this is turning into one of those days that is pretty much spent entirely in the kitchen. And since it's such a nice cool fall day, I'm enjoying that very much. I've got apples in the slowcooker getting ready to become sauce. I learned the hard way not to use the stove-top, and I'm back to smaller batches with assured results.
I've got some chicken stock set up and simmering, made from some thigh bones left from shredded meat for fajitas and some wing tips I found when I cleaned out the freezer the other day.
And I made a X6 batch of banana bread with the bananas that I cleaned out of the freezer too. As you can see, I ran out of baking dishes and resorted to a bundt shape. Maybe I'll bring that one over to the neighbors this afternoon. There's definately not room in the freezer for it.

I'm planning to spend the rest of the day finishing these things, and maybe embroidering a bit if I finish the canning before Ben finishes work. I've got apple juice that I boiled off the cores and peels of the first bushel waiting to become jelly, plus the couple quarts of sauce I'll get from that crock pot of apples to process. And then after Ben's finished with work, we're headed off to do a little grocery shopping and stop by the library.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Ivory Soap said...

Wow. I can't get much further than that. Wow. I'm impressed! Hubby might get some taco salad out of me tonight, but that's about it. Ha-ha!

Bethany said...

lol... well, I can't really brag because he's ended up making dinner everyday this week when he got home from work. I get all worn out canning, and then don't want to cook. Sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Taco salad sounds delicious. Do you have a really good recipe? I've never really made it myself and want to try sometime.

Ivory Soap said...

Oh, you're sweet. There's no recipe for taco salad. Ground something (we usually do turkey) and a package of taco seasoning. Lettuce, salsa, cheese, whatever veg you have around. We love it. It's the meal to "cook" when you don't wanna cook. Right up there with hot dogs and box mac and cheese.

Related Posts with Thumbnails