Friday, September 12, 2008

The Thrill of Counting the Pings!

I love these opalka tomatoes! The lady we bought the plants from at the farmers' market was not kidding when she said they'd be good sauce tomatoes. I hardly had to cook them down after I ran them through the victorio.
My five pounds of opalkas yielded six cups of sauce. Otherwise known as a quart and a pint. I seasoned it with dehydrated chopped garlic, and I'm afraid I added too much. I always forget how much it swells when it rehydrates! This is pretty much pizza sauce for us, we add any other seasonings right to the pizza under the cheese, since we both have very different tastes when it comes to the Italian herbs.
He did this himself. Please tell me every cat is this weird?
I'm planning a pretty quiet day today. I have a few small things to take care of this morning, like making egg salad and a loaf of bread and cleaning the ceiling fans, but after that, I'm planning to just cycle through as much laundry as I can and embroider. Ben may take an hour or two off this afternoon, so maybe we'll go out or something. But it's homemade pizza night, Ben's favorite night of the week, so we won't go far, that's for sure.
It's another rainy thunder-y sort of day. I actually enjoy that sometimes though, because it helps me appreciate a sunny day a bit more. I usually can't stand the sunny days, they're always too hot for me!
I'm feeling better this week than I have in quite a while. I'm very tired of course, with the extra bits of cleaning and all the canning, but I think that I'm so glad to feel accomplished. It really seems to make all the difference when I feel tired for a reason. I'm going to have to talk to the dr. at my appt. on monday about whether my medicine is making me tired, because I've been feeling sluggish all summer, which is pretty much since my last appt. And I have a very hard time getting past that and getting things done anyway, so then I feel bad for slacking, etc. A very hard cycle to break. So I'm pretty grateful that the grapes and tomatoes made an appearance this week, because I couldn't ignore them without wasting them. Just the jump start I needed.
I'd better head into the kitchen and get the eggs boiling and the fans cleaned now, since the sooner I finish all that, the sooner I get to settle in with a book or work on my embroidery.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I agree that pings are just thrilling! Especially when they all make that blessed noise.

Alison said...

all cats are that weird. You should see the odd things mine, does. I swear, he's not the brightest kitty ever.

Heather said...

Just like Alison said.. they are all wierd. You should check out LOL Cats sometime... you'll feel like you fit right in! just google it... trust me.

Julie said...

I have to admit to being a little bit obsessed with your harvest counter. It's going to sad when harvest is over, but we can still keep up on eggs.

Bethany said...

Mrs. Mordecai, it's always a big event here, counting them down. We always know how many we're listening for, and then we yell out the numbers as they go.

Alicat and Heather, I was pretty sure I can't be the only person to have weird cats. I mean, three out of three of ours are insane, so there have to be pretty strong odds in favor of crazy cats.

Jules, my MIL told Ben the same thing, that she likes reading it. You should see some of the big homesteaders harvest counters! They really know how to garden. Myself, I'm just hoping to be able to top myself every year for the coming years. You're right that things are coming to a close for this year. But if it makes you feel any better, we have a row each of rutabega, beets and turnips to pull still. And there's still some pie pumpkins on the vine as well!

Related Posts with Thumbnails