Monday, October 06, 2008

Fun on the Cheap

We planned a lovely Sunday yesterday and had a really great morning doing all sorts of fun stuff. After mass, we took ourselves out to breakfast at McDonald's. I know. It's so bad for me. But McDonald's Bacon, Egg and Cheese Biscuit, with Hash Browns and Orange Juice is probably my most favorite tasting meal ever. Except maybe fancy steakhouse steak. But who can afford that?

Anyway, since I knew we'd be spending money on breakfast, and we'd be in town for a while yesterday I packed us a picnic lunch as well, to save on the entertainment/eating out budget. But before we ate lunch, we ran a couple of errands, and then I settled down at Borders catching up with all the knitting magazines that my new cash budget prohibit buying. Which is better, because I guess I seriously don't need to own another knitting magazine, even if I want to. I could just unpack the boxes upstairs. The magazines and books are the only things left unpacked from the move. It's a lack of bookcase issue.

So, after I got to read and browse at Borders and Ben checked out Best Buy, we headed to the square in front of the library to have our lunch. I packed us some turkey wraps, homemade cheese spread and crackers, homemade applesauce in little cups, and some homemade cookies baked from the stash of freezer dough. It was a fun lunch, and Ben claims it was just as good as the Chinese Buffet, which would have cost us about twenty dollars more. I'm not sure about better tasting, but better for us and cheaper and less heavy and unhealthy feeling makes it a winner for me.

After lunch we went on a tour of this historic home that's in Edwardsville. It was built in 1820, and they have it refurbished and such to look like it could have then. The tour was really interesting, and the docents were really good and friendly as well. They asked us to volunteer there (mostly Ben, because they need men, I guess), but I don't think he's going to want to. He says he's too busy for things like that, but he could use an interest other than work if you asked me. I did tell the guy I'd try to talk him into it, but I'm not really a nagging type, so I just mentioned that if he volunteered there, he could learn all about the gardening and the heirloom varieties and such. The garden there is really cool. They have a small-ish area, maybe thirty by thirty, with great raised beds and mulched paths. Maybe next summer, we'll have saved enough money in the garden envelope to add some raised beds in our garden patch.

So we had a really fun day together, and there was still plenty of time for Ben to get in lots of Megaman when we got home.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Wow, that lunch sounds amazingly yummy! I hope you will share how to make the homemade cheese spread sometime!

Bethany said...

mrs. mordecai, thanks for you comment. The cheese spread is pretty much just an adapted cheese ball recipe. I'll post about it later today or sometime this week.

Related Posts with Thumbnails