Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Not Exactly Revolutionary: Homemade Pudding Cups

I love pudding. It's absolutely one of my favorite foods. But, like any relationship, this is not without it's problems. Pudding cups are expensive and wasteful (as in, too much disposable packaging, wasteful) and when I make a whole bowl of pudding from the box, I eat too much of it (as in, it's gone within twenty four hours, too much of it). But, it's always seemed like too much trouble to make the pudding and then portion it, since I have to dirty the large bowl, the whisk, a spoon, and the small bowls.

Not anymore.

I got the idea from the box of pudding. There are instructions for a shake in a jar prep method on the pudding. All I needed was the jar, the pudding, the milk, and my little reusable containers.
I shook the pudding in the jar as directed, then poured it directly into the little cups.
This makes portioning easier, since these little cups happen to be 4 oz big, and a half cup is one serving of pudding.
And after the pudding was in the cups, I just shook clean water in the jar to rinse it well and popped it into the dishwasher. (I skipped the rinsing step the first time and ended up having to scrub the jar anyway, since the dishwasher didn't get all the pudding out. But a little shake than having to scrub, I always say. Well, not really, but you know...)

In other, non-pudding news, I started knitting a Christmas present for Ben today. I'm using some grey Jaeger Matchmaker wool that I got at the Stitch n Pitch game in Detroit and making him typing gloves. (Yeah, that really just means wristlets or fingerless mitts, but neither of those sound very manly at all... well, not that typing gloves sound manly, but at least they don't sound like something a regency heroine would wear.)

This year we're probably going to get a new television as a gift for us both for Christmas, so since we'll be spending so much on one big gift, we'll be keeping the rest of the budget quite low, like ten or twenty dollars, with all the other gifts being thrifted or homemade. Because of this, and also, since Ben's so cold all winter, just about all his presents will be things to keep him warmer. I'm thinking I'll splurge my part of the budget on some nice thick flannel and maybe even fleece for warm pajama pants. I'm also looking into a hot water bottle or two. I have no idea how much they cost, but I think it'll be one of those things that seems silly, but ends up being indispensible.

I also had a meeting with the homemakers' club today. It seemed especially long today... the meetings are never really a super fun time, but I've really enjoyed getting to know all the ladies and the social parts are fun. It's mostly just all the discussion and seconding of motions that wears thin after a while. Not to mention they've started trying to get me to take on responsiblities. So not my thing.

I figure I've got about an hour or so till Ben gets home, so I'm going to try and make some progress on his gift, and watch another episode of Jericho. (I'm about halfway through the second season, and I don't like the second season very much at all. The show pretty much changed from disaster/survival to conspiracy/big brother. Not nearly as interesting to me.)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Blue Castle said...

Good idea to make your own pudding cups. You're beating the system! :)

Mrs. Mordecai said...

What a great idea! I've thought about doing this because it's so much cheaper.

Bethany said...

Thanks ladies. They were super yuumy.

Holly said...

instead of a hot water bottle, see if you can get one of those bed warmers filled with wheat or grains,and have a lavendar scent. you just pop them into the microwave for two minutes, are soft and cuddly, and last a long time with no leaks. Only works if you have a microwave though ;-). Don't know if you have them in the States.

Related Posts with Thumbnails