Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Oh Deer


My canning went well. The tomato sauce took quite a while to reduce, so I ended up doing all the processing after Ben was home, and he helped. That part does seem to go more smoothly with two people, since he can do the sterilizing and the lids and I can do the putting things in jars and filling them.

I was planning to spend some time with our elderly neighbor today, but yesterday and still this morning, I've been having some stomach troubles. I'd really hate to give her whatever bug I picked up, since she's not in the best of health to begin with, I'd be worried that she'd end super sick. If I feel better tomorrow, I'll plan to go visit with her on Friday.

There's a spot at the edge of the woods, out across the soy bean field, where I can see deer walking around sometimes. They're tiny specks at that distance, but they look really pretty against the yellow soy beans and the green trees, with the gold sunshine. I've never lived in a place where you could see deer from the house before. I'm not sure if it's because there's more deer, or fewer hunters, or perhaps just that I'm even more in the country here than where I grew up.

I'm going to take a rest from canning today, I think, and pull out the Halloween decorations. I didn't get around to that yesterday, and now that it's officially October, I definately won't be jumping the gun.

I did finish off the last ball of dishcloth yarn for Julie yesterday. Now all I have to do is sew in a million ends. I think I'll work on that this morning and watch Dancing with the Stars (if ABC has fixed their instant viewer yet). The colder weather has definately got me wanting to settle in and knit and sew instead of being outside now. I think I'd like to go all through my yarn some time soon and plan some projects, to get ready for the winter. Dark mornings make me want to spend the day on the couch. I guess it's just time for me to hibernate. :)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Melonie said...

I hope you feel better soon. Good call not going over to your neighbor's....she probably missed you but is better off not having you over if you're contagious! I've got a bug too, as do the kids. I think my son has the least of it and I must say I'm grateful for that.

We've been seeing a lot of deer here lately. Today we went for a walk around the lodging we checked into yesterday and we got to see a young buck on our way to the park and a doe on our way back. And neither of them charged me. *haha*

Congrats on all your projects. When we get to our new place I may have to try to figure out a way to bug you until you'll sell me more dishcloths and scrubbies. I LOVE the ones I won!

Julie said...

Yeeeeeeeeah! Julie's discloths! :)

Bethany said...

Melonie, thanks, I'm feeling much better after resting yesterday. It's frustrating how easily I seem to pick up these viruses and such! I hope you and the kids feel better soon! And definately try not to get charged by any deer. It's so weird that that one actually came toward you and the dog. Must have been wanting to mate. Not with you! Just didn't want you interfering in the territory, I mean.

Julie, please. A little decorum. ;)
I'm bringing them with us when we visit, because I'm making them part of your Christmas/Birthday present. No, I'm not that cheap... it's just that they'll match so well.

Melonie said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails