Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Day in the Kitchen

I had a marathon eight hour day in my kitchen yesterday. I made a big batch of pasta sauce in the slow cooker (in the muffin pan. I freeze it like that, so it's all portioned and ready to go in the freezer), put together a pot pie for dinner, baked applesauce muffins for breakfasts this week, made a pumpkin pie for snacks, made pumpkin bread for Ben to take to a meeting he's having with a bunch of guys from work this morning, baked italian bread and made garlic butter spread to have homemade garlic bread slices in the the freezer. I also prepped veggies for snacks this week, and grated some big blocks of cheese, put together some pudding cups, and turned some regular butter into butter spread with canola oil.

It was a big day.

It was nice to get so much done, but it kind of burned me out as well, and now I don't want to set foot in the kitchen today. But I did plan for that, and dinner this evening is chili from the freezer, so I don't really have to cook anything today. So, instead of cooking or baking anything, I'm goint to knit today (after I finish an article for AC... I have to, I'm trying to be disciplined). I'm working on a vest I started for Ben out of dk weight wool/acrylic blend yarn. The yarn is "vintage" from my mom's old stash that she let me have. It's pretty slow going, with size four needles and a big guy size, so I'm only about four inches from the bottom now. I'm hoping to finish another two inches or so today.

Yes, I know I should be working on that quilt that I started and then stalled on... but I'm feeling very unmotivated. Everytime I think about working on it, I just can't bring myself to listen to the noise of the embroidery machine all afternoon. Maybe if I get sick of knitting, I'll just suck it up and finish that off. I really should try to get it finished soon, because it is a really big project and the sooner to have it done the better. Not to mention I have Christmas gifts for Ben to work on as well.

I ended up giving him the fingerless gloves that I made him, because he kept saying that his hands were cold, so I got them out and let him open them early. He really loves them, but that's still one less present under the tree for him. I'm hoping to have this vest done for a Christmas present, and perhaps a denim quilt and also a couple pairs of flannel jammie pants. I'd also like to make him another winter hat and a matching pair of gloves, since the ones he has now are black and red, and his coat is a dark brown color, but I don't know if I'll finish those before Christmas, because I'll have to buy yarn for them (I can hardly believe that I have no appropriate brown wool in my yarn closet, but I really don't), so maybe I'll wait and see if I get some KnitPicks gift credit for Christmas from anyone and buy the yarn with that.

Anyway, I'd better quit stalling and buckle down and write my article. I'm trying to use my associated content earnings to get enough money to buy yarn to make myself an alapaca throw for the winter. I think alpaca would make the best blanket, since it's so light and warm... but it'll be expensive, so I want to earn extra for it, instead of blowing my regular spending money that should be used for better things... like books. :)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Wow, I'm so impressed! I have a hard time making so many things at once; I get all confused.

I agree, spending money is best spent on books. I've got some right now that's burning a hole in my pocket but I can't decide what to get.

AC_Laura said...

Alpaca is a great idea for your winter blanket. Sounds cozy! This is one of the most creative uses of Associated Content earnings that I've come across yet. Please stop by the official blog some time, I'm always posting about new contests and other ways to optimize your earnings.

Bethany said...

Mrs. Mordecai, I'm glad you agree about the books. I seem to run through my monthly spending money in the first week, buying books and magazines, and Ben always still has his at the end of the month. I wish I had his ability to not spend. But I don't... hence the monthly spending money envelopes to limit me, lol.

AC Laura, thanks for stopping by. I love Associated Content, and I've written here a few times about how great it is to earn extra money there. I actually just talked my younger brother into being a producer! Anyway, I'm sure I'll earn the $70 or so needed for that much alpaca yarn, order it and get it made sometime just in time for... Spring. :)

Blue Castle said...

You're the woman! That's an awful lot of baking and cooking for one day. Makes me tired just looking at your pictures. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails