Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Applique

I finished stitching down the applique yesterday, and when Ben got home, we decided on the rest of the design, so I'm thinking I might be able to finish the entire quilt top today. For now, here are pictures of the shadow applique.

I did this applique by using that heat n bond stuff. We enlarged the design onto the paper backing, and then I cut it out and ironed it down. Since the entire piece gets flipped over after the cutting, you have to remember to reverse your design.

After I ironed it down, I stitched around the entire edge with a medium zigzag stitch.

A person could use a shorter stitch and outline the design with satin stitching, but I didn't do that for a few reasons. It's easier and faster to use the longer stitch, and if you make any small mistakes, they blend in better because the zigzag has a sort of spiky, deconstructed look to begin with.

I'm pretty excited to get going on the rest of it, and see how it all comes together this afternoon.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Contrariwise said...

That is a riot! What a great idea.

Sharkeysday said...

Awesome, I LOVE it!

Lynne said...

Very cool! My husband loved Mystery Science Theater, is it still on?
I've been using a blanket stitch on my applique. I also like using the longer stitch. I tried shortening the stitch and it looked horrible.

Tomato Lady said...

Very cool. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Related Posts with Thumbnails