Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Finished Hat

I finished Ben's hat last night. I was afraid it would be too big after I got it off the needles, but he says it's perfect. I won't worry about re-doing it, it's wool, so I can always just shrink it a tad if it stretches out too much.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night coughing and ear-achey. I think Ben's right, we're probably keeping the house too cold. So I'm going to change the thermostat program to keep it a few degrees warmer all day.

But since I'm not feeling top notch, I think I'll just knit today. I started a matching mitten for Ben last night, so I think I'll transfer it to a long needle and start the second and knit them both at the same time in the magic loop method. Dinner tonight is pasta, and there's homemade sauce and homemade garlic bread in the freezer and lunch is leftover so I literally don't have to do anything but collect eggs and scoop the litter boxes until Ben gets home. A perfect day just to rest and knit and read. I definately do not want to be sick when we got to MI for Christmas.

It drives me crazy that I get sick so easily! Anyone have any immune booster ideas?

I'm in the middle of this very interesting book about the middle ages. It's about the four daugters of the count of provence who all became queens. It's very interesting, and even though it's history with footnotes and all, it's a good read, since the story is so compelling. It's called, Four Queens, by Nancy Goldstone. I'm also tempted to get out the Little House in the Big Woods. I read the whole series in descending order over the summer, last time I was sick, and I have that one left. Then maybe I'll turn around and read them in the right order. I think Farmer Boy and These Happy Golden Years are my favorites. Though I do like The First Four Years as well. I just wish that one were longer. And maybe slightly less depressing.

I'll shoot for finished mitten pictures for tomorrow. I'm pretty sure he wants them fingerless again, so that'll be a pretty quick project.

Some discussion questions (I'm just in that sort of mood, I guess.):
What projects are you working on? (I'm just hoping I'm not the only one with a million different things in the works.)
What are your immune booster ideas? (Please help me stay bug free for more than a week or two at a time!)
Have you read any good, interesting books lately? (I'm always looking for new things to read!)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Mary said...

Hi!!
Hope you get better soon. Lots of extra vitamin C helps keep some of the sickies away. It's a water soluble vitamin so you won't overdose on it.
Have a great day!!
God Bless You!!
Mary

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I think just eating your fruits and vegetables, especially ones you might be craving, might help your immune system. Also getting enough sleep, of course! I always get sick when I'm too stressed and/or don't get enough sleep.

I like to incorporate vegetables in ways other than just vegetables for a side dish. A spinach lasagna or a pumpkin pie can be a great source of veggies. And of course, still serve more on the side!

I'm not working on any projects at the moment. Unless you count preparing the house for December guests. That's what's keeping me busy.

I love the Little House books, too! Farmer Boy has so much good food in it. Another similar favorite is A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter. If you haven't read it, I bet you'd like it. I also love The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. It's fantasy, and so good!

molly said...

Hey, Bethany! How are you? Sorry to read you haven't been feeling well. Have you tried running a humidifier? The moist air keeps your nasal passages running smoothly and keeps germs out. I also like the Zand herbal immune booster tincture (tastes awful, tho) and Sootherbz, which you can get at Wal-mart. I think the Zand can be bought at CVS, and it's a bit pricey but worth it.

I also have a million ideas for Christmas running through my head. I know, though, with new baby I won't get them all done. I am pretty much abandoning any crochet projects, except maybe a toy or two for the baby, and focusing on the following:

salt dough dove ornaments, painted cream and glazed with sparkle glaze and tied with an olive green ribbon, 3 each for family (for each boy)

my sort of famous peanut brittle that everyone asks for, and fudge

capturing a really good Christmas card picture and mailing those out

celebrating the whole of advent with calendars for the boys and a really cool advent book I found at the thrift store

building a gingerbread house with the pre-made kit from Trader Joe's. It is made in Germany and very cute. The boys love doing one every year.

AND THAT IS IT! other than store-bought presents, which there won't be a whole lot of, this year.

I wanted to tell you that I struggle too with watching shows that are sinful. One of my favorites is The Shield, but it is so bad. I have given up some shows because of how bad they are, although that may be hypocritical if I still watch some bad ones. We try to keep the kids away from bad ones, too.

I am reading a fun book right now, Garlic and Sapphires, by Ruth Reichel (spelling?!?). She was the restaurant critic for the NY times. It is interesting and has a few good recipes too. She is the editor of Gourmet now, I think.

Well, good luck on all your projects! Check out my new blog sometime, although I haven't had time to update it now for a month. After Christmas I am going to be more faithful to it.

FEEL BETTER!
Molly

Marion said...

Sorry you aren't feeling well, I don't really have any other ideas other than lots of rest.
I am still working on my gift baskets for my siblings and their contents. My stalling point right now is picking out the right fabric for the aprons...any tips on fabric or weight? We are also making some ornaments and painting glass ball ornaments for family. I hope to get me decorating and some more baking for the freezer done this coming weekend.
I have finished the Twilight series and I really enjoyed it. Now I am reading the draft of Midnight Sun on her website and I hope she finishes it some day... I really like Edwards point of view. I haven't figured out what to read next, so I may also fall back on a stand by favorite of mine...The Belgariad by David Eddings.
Hope you feel better soon!

Bethany said...

Thanks ladies for all your suggestions!

Mary, I've been eating oranges and drinking lots of OJ, but I'll check and see if I have any vitamin C hanging around in the medicine cabinet too. I loved your finished socks!

Mrs. Mordecai, I agree that I definately need to get more fruits and veggies. I'm making more of an effort, and I do "hide" them in our breakfast muffins and snacks quite often. Do you really of pumpkin pie as a healthy sort of snack? I agree with you, but thought maybe I was just fooling myself. ;) The books sound great!

Molly, Thanks for the tips on the products. I might look into that, since it's very frustrating to get sick so often! I think that I'm following your blog, but I'll check and make sure that it's on my list in the reader thing. Your projects sound awesome! I'd love to see pictures of everything! I know what you mean about feeling hypocritical... it seems so much so to say, I know this show has tons of vulgarity and nudity and sex, but it's SUCH a GOOD story, like I always do. Oh well, I guess that's what trying to be good is about, making decisions like that. Maybe we could figure out a standard, like, would I be ashamed to watch this with my mom? lol

Marion, I think that quilting cottons make very nice aprons. They're not too heavy, so they can be doubled up if you'd like a lining or reversibility, and they're easy to wash and dry. I also like to use cotton dish towels, because I wipe my hands on my aprons endlessly, and they're very absorbant and easy to clean. I'll post a tutorial on making aprons from dish towels later today. I used to have it up on my site, but my domain name lapsed and got bought out, so it's no where right now. I've never read Belgariad, I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I just have to put up a second vote for Garlic and Sapphires. It is hilarious and so interesting!

Pumpkin pie is one of our favorite healthy snacks. I like to make up just the custard, because the crust isn't that healthy and I don't really like it anyway. Then I cut the sugar way down. You can cut most recipes' sugar by half and not even notice it. Some of them I cut down more. Then you're left with pumpkin, spices, milk and eggs. Not bad! We like it for breakfast.

Related Posts with Thumbnails