Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Freezing Homemade Turkey Stock


I took care of my turkey stock yesterday, because it was such a sunny day, I was concerned the garage wouldn't stay cool enough to keep it safe. After skimming the hardened fat off the top, I used a wide mouthed canning jar to hold the bag open for me, and just filled the bags using my canning funnel. I ended up with nine quart bags of stock! That's enough to last us till the end of January or February at least. It depends how much soup I plan to serve. In the winter, we eat soup way more often. Anyway, the point is, it's very worth the time it took, and now I have a lot of generally healthy, low salt stock, for free, using what would be thrown away anyway.
I'm feeling a little better this morning. I certainly slept better last night, than the night before, because Ben picked up nyquil for me yesterday. I'm still sore throated and that ear is bothering me a little. I don't think I've got an infection, because my temperature is only 99 and I tend to run hot. I'm prone to ear infections though, so I want to make sure that all that fluid doesn't stay put.
In order to try to avoid getting very sick and having a fever and all, I'm planning to spend today pretty quietly as well. I've got plenty of time for other stuff, so in the meantime, I'll make myself useful by knitting Ben's mittens. I got a good start on them yesterday, but I kept falling asleep. Today, I'm not nearly as tired, so I think I might be able to finish them.
Thanks for all the books suggestions! I'll definately be visiting the library this weekend.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Alison said...

I get earaches all winter long, no matter what I do, I can't seem to avoid them.

A few years ago it go so bad that I lost my hearing in one of my ears for about 3 months.

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Wow, using the quart jar is such a great idea! I always spill broth all over the place. Not anymore. You're so smart.

I hope you get feeling better soon!

Bethany said...

Ali, I hope this winter won't be so hard on your ears. There's just something about earaches that seem to suck so much more than anything else, isn't there? Well, maybe not more than sore throats... I can handle most else, but give me a sore throat and I act like I'm dying.

Mrs. Mordecai, I still spilled a little broth, but only while sealing the bags. Usually I just have Ben help with that sort of thing, so the jar is like an extra pair hands.

Related Posts with Thumbnails