Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Murder Most Fowl

Okay, I couldn't resist the joke in the title, but I'm pretty bummed about what we found when we got home yesterday afternoon from our trip to Michigan. One of our chickens was missing. We went next door to ask the neighbor who had been taking care of everything if he knew what happened. He hadn't noticed that it was missing, but he had noticed a dog hanging around. Then he came over later to let us know that he'd found parts of it in their yard.

I don't know whose dog it was, because they don't have one, but I guess it doesn't really matter, since these things happen. It's just sad that now we only have five hens instead of half a dozen. I suppose it would feel worse if I'd been able to tell them apart in the first place. We figure it was the one that Ben calls Big Mama though, because she used to try to guard against and fight whatever would come around, so she probably flew out of the top of the yard trying to scare the dog off and then got chased and caught once she was out. Poor Big Mama was brave, anyway.

So, I'm wishing I'd finished the tarp for the top of the yard sooner, since that might have avoided the whole "dead chicken" thing, but that's on my short list of projects now that all the Christmas crafting has died down.

I hope everyone enjoyed my scheduled posts while I was gone. I'd finished so many different kinds of projects the week before we left that I wanted to make sure they all got their own post! And since we were going to be gone, what better way to do that than kill two birds with one stone and keep my blog from looking neglected while I was gone. Now that I'm back, I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have had about all those posts.

I have lots of new things to talk about too, like crafting with my in laws and my new hand crank grain grinder, so the coming week should be busy and interesting as well.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Alison said...

We used to have chickens when I was little and possums always used to get them. A possum will do a number on a chicken, it's a pretty gory site. Blegh.

Bethany said...

I'm pretty glad I didn't have to see poor Big Mama all torn up. I would have buried her if I had to, but I think the neighbor just put her into a couple of bags and put that all into the trash. I offered to go over and clean up, but he said he'd take care of it. I'm sure it wasn't exactly pleasant though.

nike dunk said...

cool blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails