Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Quick Gift

I wanted to have a little something to give to my older neighbor as a Christmas gift, but the baskets I'm making for a few others aren't really appropriate. The gift baskets have ingredients for making applesauce muffins, but our neighbor's mother, who I looked out for over the summer while they were on vacation, is in her late eighties and doesn't bake or anything like that anymore.

So, I came up with this idea yesterday and got them all finished up, sewing on the beads while I watched a movie with Ben last night.
I've noticed that she likes to cover her glass of water with something, and she usually uses an old jar lid, so I made her a pair of these little embroidered glass covers.

What is it with older people keeping water around and covering it like that? Why not just finish the water? Anyway, I guess they just do, so I figured she'd enjoy a pretty cover for it.

Here is a close-up of the embroidery. I chose a monogram because it seemed like a pretty universal sort of design that "goes" all year.
To make these I cut (for each one) two six inch squares of plain cotton. I ironed on the monogram in the center of one, embroidered it, then pressed it. Then I put the plain square and the embroidered square wrong sides together and used the rolled hem on my serger to finish all the edges, making about a five to five and half inch finished square. I sealed the serging with a tiny dot of fray check at each corner and when it was dry, trimmed the threads. Then, I made little dangles out of a silver headpin, a purple glass 6mm faceted bead, and an iridescent seed bead, bending the end of the headpin into a loop. I sewed one of these onto each corner by hand. And that's it, all done!
If glass covers seem supremely un-useful to you, you could follow all the same steps, but sandwich a small piece of batting, about a half an inch smaller on all sides than the fabric, sprinkled with fragant dried herbs like lavendar, between the embroidered piece and the lining before serging them together. You'll have a lovely and simple sachet.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

molly said...

bethany, you are awesome and so thoughtful. what a lovely gift!

Blue Castle said...

That's beautiful! Your embroideriy is amazing. Now that I think of it, that is a good idea - to cover your glass of water. I have come back to mine and found little flecks of something in it. My kids will plead innocent, but the youngest one always has a guilty look. :)

Sister Mary Martha said...

What a lovely idea. I do quite a bit of embroidery myself.

Marion said...

It's so pretty Bethany. Such a sweet thing to do for her. I am sure she will love it.

Bethany said...

Thank you all, I'm really glad you think it's a good idea. I was concerned that they were a bit too likely to be clutter, but she does seem to enjoy cletter as well, lol. The monograms are about an inch and a half to two inches high, and it only took me about 30-45 minutes to finish both. It's amazing how much more quickly you can go when you don't have to change colors!

Sarah, if there are guilty children involved in your contaminated water, I'm afraid a little cover might not be enough of a defense!

Sister Mary Martha, thanks so much for stopping by. You should post some pictures of your embroidery on your blog. I'm sure your fans would love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails