Friday, December 19, 2008

Some Chicken Pictures

The Christmas present projects continue. Yesterday I finished embroidering some tea towels and laid out the MST3K quilt and started pinning the layers together so I can tie it. I think I'm going to run out of safety pins before I even get halfway, so I'll try basting it as well. After it's tied, I can do the binding this evening or tomorrow. I've also got a few presents to finish up for Ben and one that I'm going to try to get done start to finish, if I can find the time.

I have a hair appt. this morning, and have to visit and deliver things to the neighbors, so I'm not sure how much crafting I'll get done. I might have to start staying up later to finish it all!

The freshest eggs you can get!

They're loving the big chunks of straw i put in the yard for them. They had it all scratched out and spread in an hour or two. I guess it's more fun to eat sunflower seeds if first you have to dig through a bunch of straw to get them.











Here is the new chicken fortification. They seem to be appreciate the extra shelter all the straw bales are providing. They've already lost that droopy emo chicken look.


Do you notice a particular bad cat in the bathroom window? That window is higher than my head inside, and has the tiniest sill. But I guess it's worth the acrobatics it takes in order to get to look at the chickens.


It cracks me up the way they all look over the bales when they hear me coming.


This is the new water heater setup. Under the canning pot, I've put a work light clamped to a piece of wood. The wood holds it up off the ground, and it's plugged into a plug that knows what the temperature is, and only turns the light on when it's colder than 35 degrees. I'd like to replace the wood with a mason block for extra safety and then pin the pot down to the ground with pegs around the handles as a further precaution. I also think that I can change the bulb to a 50 watt one, because the 100 watt one that Ben bought keeps the very warm, and I'm really going for just, not frozen.
BTW, this isn't my good canning pot, it's the one I use to dye things in. And, does anyone else think it's hilarious that I've "decorated" the chicken yard with a pot big enough to cook a couple in? Maybe it's just me.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Isn't it fun pulling those fresh eggs out of the nest? We had a little skirmish a couple minutes ago over who could go check the nests for eggs. We're only getting 2/day so far, but tomorrow we should have enough to make an omelette for the family!

Bethany said...

It is very fun! But we might be taking it for granted now, since we have so many more than we can eat, lol.

Ivory Soap said...

Are those Red Stars? LOVE mine.

Bethany said...

They're actually cinnamon queens, which I'm told are a Rhode Island Red/Delaware White cross. I just love they're pretty pretty brown color!

Related Posts with Thumbnails