Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Embroidered Tray Cloth



I like to keep this tray out on the counter to hold our bread or leftover bread things, so that we'll remember them and they won't go stale in the back of the cupboard. I usually line it with a folded tea towel, but on Friday, I was in the mood for a different quick project, so I embroidered this little cloth to line my tray for a more festive look.
The pattern is one of Aunt Martha's iron-on's, from a series of monthly quilt blocks. I finished the edge by sewing the trim onto the cloth right sides facing, then pressing it back to the wrong side and topstiching along the fold on the white fabric to hold all the layers in place.
I just love the trim! I got it at a fabrics by the pound closeout type store in Mesa when we lived in AZ, and it was super cheap. They sell their trims for $.15 to $.30 typically. I'm bummed that I don't have any in green and gold for my March tray cloth. I'll have to pick up some rick rack instead, I guess.
What do you think? Is it cute enough to bother doing an entire set of them?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

That is adorable! I think a whole set would be fantastic. :)

Bonnie Story said...

Your designs are wonderful! I think a whole set would be great. Thinking up the designs would be fun. Now you have got me thinking! In our new kitchen we are going to have a huge chalkboard, I mean huge, and doing something like that on it monthly would be fun. But erasing it would be sad, the tea towels will last much longer. Happy February!

Kathie said...

It's beautiful!

Kathie said...

It's beautiful!

Kathie said...

It's beautiful!

Bethany said...

Thanks ladies, glad you think it turned out well!

Bonnie, when we lived in AZ, I worked at Curves and one of my favorite things was getting to draw on and decorate the white boards each month. Like this one, http://beppycat.blogspot.com/2007/07/you-have-new-picture-mail.html and this one, http://beppycat.blogspot.com/2007/10/you-have-new-picture-mail.html It was always so much fun to think up new themes!

Related Posts with Thumbnails