Friday, January 09, 2009

Goings On



I've had a fairly full week this week. I've been reading quite a lot. I decided to really take advantage of winter time and got some novels from the library, and my nephew loaned me a book he wants me to read as well. I've always loved to read so much, but I tend to let it really get in the way of everything else, so I tend not to even start books, knowing I won't want to do anything else until they're finished. Maybe I'm outgrowing that, or maybe I'm just more disciplined, but even though I've been doing a lot of reading, I'm also finishing things as well.

I've been working on an apron for my sister in law Missy this week, and I'm planning to finish it this afternoon. And on my knitting needles is a Elizabeth Zimmerman Pi Shawl that some of you may recognize, since I've been working on it off and on for a year. I'm making with angora blend yarn that is recycled from a sweater I picked up at Goodwill. As I was taking this sweater apart, the sleeves unravelled easily, but I had trouble with the yarn in the front breaking a lot, so there's lots of small balls from that section. Well, I'm down to just the smaller balls and I'm at the point in the shawl where there are about six hundred stitches on the needle, and that leads to having another join every other round or so. I still had the back of the sweater, and so I undid that this week and round the balls, and ended up with only three long pieces, so I've got three pretty good sized balls to finish off the shawl. Now, actually finishing it will be a different story, since it takes me at least two Macgyver's to do one round. ;)

I did take pictures of our "healthy" nacho dip this week, but I don't know that they'll be much use for a post, since most of the ingredients started out from scratch too. It seems odd, but I might have to do a Nacho Dip series, showing the different components being made as well.

Tomorrow we're headed to the big city lights of St. Louis to go to the art museum and then search out a tortilla press with our friend Ken. The boys don't realize, since they work there and Ken lives there, but it actually is exciting for me to drive into St. Louis. I just love seeing the arch!

Chicken Update:
Our five remaining hens don't seem to be at all troubled by the death of their companion. I'm beginning to wonder if they perhaps threw her out of the pen as part of a sacraficial rite to The Dog. We're still getting an egg from each of them every day, and though five a day doesn't add up to quite as many as six a day, and we have added one more customer to our list, I still have about four dozen eggs in the fridge right now. They sure are healthy plump productive little pets.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Julie said...

I could hardly believe that a chicken would regard the life of another chicken. They're kinda pecky.

Bethany said...

I can't wait for you to come visit and meet our chickens. You're going to like them very much. :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails