Monday, January 26, 2009

Homemade Granola Bars

Both Ben and I are hooked on the granola bars we made from this recipe from King Arthur flour. We did another batch on Saturday for this week's breakfasts.

I took the suggestion of the recipe and put the bowl on the kitchen scale, adding the dried fruit, and coconut and ground flax seed and chocolate chips and pumpkin seeds until it all totaled about 10 oz.

We use brown sugar, and olive oil for the sweetening and fat. The recipe also calls for a liquid sweetening as well, and since I think I'm a bit allergic to honey, and we don't have any maple syrup, we used Karo corn syrup. I think they'd be great with maple syrup, too, so I'll have to get some and try it.

The recipe says to grease the pan, but they stuck a bit, so Ben decided this time we'd line the pan with parchment paper.

The mixture seems a little dry and crumbly, but I just press it into the pan and when it bakes, it ends up sticking together pretty well.

The parchment paper made it pretty easy to turn the whole thing out onto the cutting board, and after it cooled a bit, we cut it into about twenty bars.
These turn out so yummy, and are absolutely worth making, if you've been looking for a good granola bar recipe. I happened to like granola bars soooo much more than granola. I don't know why, I guess I just like my nutrition in bar form.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Mama Kelly said...

Thank you for this. I think Ill be making some of these in the next couple of weeks.

Bethany said...

They are so yummy! I'm sure you'll like them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails