Friday, January 23, 2009

Homemade Hamburger Buns

Believe it or not, I couldn't find any hamburger bun recipes at any of my go-to recipes sites! So I did a little experimenting on my own.

I used the dinner roll recipe from my breadmaker book and used the bread maker to make the dough. I did cut the sugar in the recipe back from 1/4 cup to 2 Tbs. so they wouldn't turn out too sweet. The recipe was for nine dinner rolls so, assuming I'd want buns to be slightly larger, I cut the dough into 8 pieces and patted them into sort of flat rounds.

They rose very well, and I was glad that I'd made them pretty flat to begin with when I saw that, because I don't like those really high buns where there's more bread than meat in the bites.

They came out really well. Maybe a bit too tender, but Ben liked them very much and has requested that I make all buns from now on. I'm thinking they'd be really cute with an egg wash and some seame or poppy seeds sprinkled all over.
So, that was one of my big projects yesterday. I also did quite a bit of cleaning and such. I'm so glad that Ben's back home now! I miss him a lot when he's got to be away for days at a time like that. This weekend, I've got to make more granola bars and some yogurt, so I'll be sure to post pictures of those processes next week. And hopefully, I'll also have lots of pictures of finished sewing projects. You all have a great weekend!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

They look fantastic! Making buns is on my list for next week. I have an onion roll recipe that I like to use. Thanks for the inspiration!

Janelle said...

can you post the recipe for us? :)

Chantel said...

Those look delicious. That was creative to change the recipe to suit your needs.

Meg said...

oh my gosh - they look delicious!

Bethany said...

Jennifer, onion rolls sound like a great idea for buns, that would be delicious!

Janelle, sure, I'll post it sometime this week.

Chantel and Meg, thanks they did taste pretty good!

Related Posts with Thumbnails