Wednesday, January 28, 2009

SOUP!

On Monday we had roast chicken with all the timmings for dinner, so after we picked the meat off, I saved the carcass, put it in the pot with two quarts of water, added a little salt, some garlic, a chopped up onion, the heart and leaves of celery, and carrots, and let it simmer for a few hours to make stock. After simmering, I strained the stock through a colander and put it in the fridge to let the fat float to the top and harden, so I could skim it off easily.

Then, for dinner, I made soup by cooking minced garlic, onion, carrot, and celery in a Tbs or two of olive oil over medium heat till it was softened and translucent. I added about a quart of stock, and about a cup of chopped chicken meat to that and let it simmer for a little while.

I was going to put rice in too, but I ran out of room in my saucepan! So I cooked the rice separately and we ate the soup served over scoops of rice.


I also made a loaf of the special, yummy, no knead bread. So good!

It actually snowed here, and there's snow on the ground. The chickens are not at all happy about that. I might try to sweep them a clear spot in their yard later on today. Ben is working from home, since the car is a bit snowed in, and the roads didn't look so great, so I'm going to spending a lot of the day working in my sewing room on projects to keep from distracting him. I'm terrible sometimes.... I just can't not distract him! Hopefully I'll have some finished sewing projects to post tomorrow!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails