Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Best Homemade Tarp Ever!

No more escaping chickens! Here is my tarp made of Duraweave bags to cover the opening in the top of the chickens yard.

I can't get over how perfectly it came out to use three feed bags and the one smaller Tidy Cats bag. But I guess I'm a dork like that.

I just love these grommets. They're the kind with two pieces and I reinforced the back of the canvas with felt to help the grommet have thickness to grasp. I think they're very secure.

The whole tarp is about 4 feet by 10 feet. I opened the empty bags flat, washed and wiped them clean and then just sewed them end to end. I mentioned the other day that they were too unwieldly and slippery to go through the machine, so I ended up stitching them by hand. It took longer than I had planned to get finished that way, but I've been putting off making it since August, so getting done at all was an accomplishment, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got some ambitious plans for myself today. I'm going to clean my bedroom! I know, that doesn't sound ambitious, but our bedroom, though it's not terribly messy, has lots of random things that really belong somewhere else. So, I'm going to actually find places for all those things and hang the pictures and clean the knick knacks. Plus, there's my jewelry box and makeup and hair things to sort, so though not difficult, those can be time consuming. I'm just telling you all to hold myself accountable to actually finishing!
I think it'll be a good day to take care of this chore because it's supposed to be pretty warm, so I can open the windows and air the place out a bit as well. I'd love to come up with some great idea for hiding the litter boxes as well. Maybe I could make privacy curtains or something. Anyway, I'm just procrastinating now, so I'd better get to work. The sooner I finish, the sooner I get to work on something more fun, like embroidery!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

That is so neat!

And let me know if you find a solution to hiding litter boxes...I'd love to hide ours.

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I love the shelter! It looks fun. I need to go through our bedroom again, too. I don't know how it picks up so many random things.

Bethany said...

Thanks ladies. I think that turning it white side out might look a little better, lol.

lisa winter said...

what a great idea for reusing the feed bags. i never thought about using them to make a tarp. does it keep the rain out pretty well?

Related Posts with Thumbnails