Thursday, February 19, 2009

Broiled Coconut Topping Cake

My mom used to make this with a Bisquick recipe, but here's a from-scratch recipe for pretty much the same cake from my Betty Crocker cookbook.



For the cake:
Beat together for 3 minutes on high speed
1 1/4 Cups Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup Butter, softened
3/4 Cup Milk
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 Large Egg
and pour into a greased and floured 8X8 Square pan or one 9inch Round pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

Mix up the frosting:
1 Cup Flaked Coconut
1/3 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Butter, softened
2 Tablespoons Milk
And spread it on the still warm cake. Place under broiler for about two minutes until the frosting begins to brown.
Serve warm or cooled.

I made this for Ben's Valentine's present on Friday. It's a yummy buttery type cake, and if you like coconut, you'll absolutely love it.

In non-cake news, I've just been doing a little of this and a little of that. Yesterday I visited with the neighbor, and did a lot of knitting. I'm really wanting to get Ben's sweater vest finished before it gets too hot out for him to wear it.

Today I cleaned the fridge out and am planning to do some kitchen prep things, like replenish the veggie tray and make some muffins and crackers for snacks this weekend. I'm looking forward to catching up on Lost this afternoon (though, seriously, enough with the time jumping).

I also have to practice some cake decorating sometime very soon. I'm in charge of the cake for my SIL's baby shower in March, and since I'll have to make it in my mom's kitchen and take it to my MIL's house, I'm hoping to get a lot of the decorations made with royal icing and finished ahead of time. I would like to get to practice it at least once before hand as well, but that's a lot of cake to have around. Then again, Ben's never ever complained about too much cake before. And I could always get him to take it to work so we wouldn't eat it all. I'm thinking I might make up a batch of royal icing and start piping flowers today, so that'll be out of the way.

So I guess I'm busier than I'd thought when I got up this morning and the most ambitious thing I was planning on was to wash the dishes. Oh well, that's what to do lists are for... so I don't fool myself into thinking I've got nothing to do!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

molly said...

your cake looks lovely. . .I adore coconut so I may make this today, since for once I actually have some in the pantry! thanks for the recipe.

have fun with Lost. . .it was a good one. I just adore that show; it's like reading a good book.

I have four days to mega de-clutter while R. is out on a fishing trip. your sparkly bedroom inspires me!

hope you have a great day and I'll let you know how the cake turns out.

Sarah said...

The cake looks delicious! I'm in the same situation with making sweets - I love to do it, but with only two of us, it's hard for us to finish anything without going overboard. In the past couple of weeks I've made cookies, cupcakes, and a birthday cake for my hubby (all pictured in my blog) and we've given most of it away. I always have Dan bring extra sweets to the office, and we also gave some to our landlord and mailed some cookies to my grandmother.

I'm also making a cake for my SIL's baby shower in March! Have you decided on a design yet? I'm looking for inspiration. I know she's having a boy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails