Friday, February 06, 2009

A Present!! And news from the coop.

Today I'm showing off a project that I didn't make!


My mom made this great blanket for us. I really love it, because I'm kind of a St. Patrick's Day freak. It's super warm, because it's two layers of fleece, and it induces naps.
I just love it when people make me things. It's funny because I've heard a few times that people don't make me things because they think I'm so good at making things that I wouldn't like what they would make. But that's so far from the truth! I make people things because I LIKE handmade gifts, so that's what I would like to get too. I guess most people give the things they'd really like to get.
In other news, this morning when I went to let the chickens out of their coop, I heard weird noises from under the deck. I waited to see if it was the neighbor's cat or a bunny, and out walks one of my hens! I guess she got herself out of the pen yesterday and couldn't get back in at bed time. I'm pretty glad she found a fairly safe place to sleep and nothing got her. And that it wasn't as cold as it has been, or she might have frozen out on her own! She's safe in the pen again with her sisters. I'm definately going to have to finish making that tarp for the top of the pen to stop these excaping chickens!
We don't have a problem with too many eggs anymore. I posted on Craigslist and found a good steady customer. Now we sell every egg, and we haven't been eating too many. I think it might be time to think about replacing the lost hen and maybe adding another for seven or eight chickens total. Anyone have any advice about introducing some new chickens to our tiny flock? I know they should at least be full grown, and I've heard that if we put them in at night, things will go better. Is it worth trying, or not worth the risk?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Adam J. said...

you should introduce 'chicken boo'. he would fit right in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu0taBOtM04

Bethany said...

I don't know... he wears a disguise to look like human guys... I think they'd notice.

Melonie said...

Yes, put new girls in at night when everyone's snoozing. That's the time to take 'em out if you're giving away / selling any also. :-) Or at least, that's what Jenna says in Made from Scratch (fantastic book, you must look for it - I think you'd enjoy it!).

Related Posts with Thumbnails